• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Drills

Samuel

Ive asked before about Punch bag drills, But I guess I didnt really explain what I wanted that well :D

Having plenty of free time at the moment and with the weather cooling off, I figured I best get back into training at home pronto.

And with the need of some good drills to do to get me focused, Ive sat down and tried to put some together...

For example, Stand in horse stance infront of the punch bag, and punch left and right chudan zuki alternativly. Then working onto punching left to the head, then right to the stomach and then left to the stomach then alteranting this to right left right, and doing it with a 3 beat rythmn increasing them tempo to get some speed training going.

Others ive thought up is just standing in horse stance or niahanchi dachi and performing a left right alternative back fist strike, or knife hand strike.

As for kicking, standing in left fighting stance and doing Maegeri then after so many swapping stance and doing some more on that side. Then repeat with mawashigeri on both sides. Or for something more challenging I thought up kicking mawashigeri at all three levels sucsessivly with or without putting your foot down again.

But none beat the first 3 beat one, thats a drill you can do and increase your tempo and feel it working when you get into it.

Does anyone have similar drills they perform or can think up to do on a punch bag, or perhaps from one end of the garden to the other (we do such combonations techniques at the club, from one end of the hall to the other)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here is a good kicking endurance drill. Take a fighting stance in front of the bag, let's say right leg in back.

1. with right leg, side step to the right, 45 degree angle, like you would be going into a front stance that way, don't let your body face the bag, face the direction you step, but look at the bag.

2. this is the tricky part, to explain, anyways. You kind of do a little switch foot action, bringing the left foot quickly to where the right is, and doing a right round kick to the bag at the same time. After kicking the bag, let your kicking leg kind of push back off the bag, going back to a right leg back fighting stance.

3. at this point, you should have moved about 45 degrees from the starting position. Now, right when your feet reset, you do the side step, and repeat the whole thing again. You should be able to keep this going, around and around the bag. You can build up to 30 second sets on each side, and you will be loving it, I assure you.

Hope it don't sound too confusing!

Thats the sort of thing im looking for.

Punching drills, kicking drills, footwork drills, mixtures of all of these.

I know I could just hammer out some kata for a good mix of all of these (granted, I only really know Kihon Gata and Pinan Nidan, but technique wise thats as much as I need to know right now, but the more the better, I like to learn all the time, stay a step ahead of the game)

Punchbag drills like your bushido are definatly useful, because my punchbag just swings Idle at the moment for the lack of good drills to perform.

Of course im not looking for the mystical "do this every day and youll be a master" sort of thing, Theres no encompassing drill that makes you great at everything. Just something that will give me some solid foundation, get my speed, endurance and power up.

This is more kind of for strength but still a good bag work out. Stand in front of the bag like you were gonna throw a skipping side kick. Then take the front leg extend it on to the bag and try to hold the bag at a 45 degree angle. While keeping the hands up to block the face. Its VERY tough !

if you have a few bags you could line them up from left to right about 3-4 feet apart. then assign a different techinque per bag, start on the opposite side of the room then shuffle uo to the first bag, strike it then shuffle back to the wall and repeat a few times.

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido