• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate = Life

Scully

I was in the dojo a few weeks ago, and we were watching the younger fighters spar, and it came to a point were one fell over and hurt a their leg. It was nothing major and he was able to carry on. I found myself telling the boy in my mind "You got knocked down, just get back up and try harder next time, if if you are at a disadvantage." I only realised after I thought it on how thats same thing could be used in general life and how karate and life are so similar. I just want to ask the karate forums community a small question.

Have you ever had an experience in life,good or bad, that you could relate to karate or vice versa and could help that situation?

I've found myself thinking of that little sentence whenever I fail at something, either a game, or if I get knocked over in a real fight or sparring match. Please share your ideas please.

"If instead of fighting with him you say to your enemy, "You have won" and bow before him, that is the biggest deed in the world."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that, if you persevere with Karate, learning how to take knocks but not give up, to overcome personal weaknesses etc, it gives you mental discipline and strength which can only be an asset in life. How many people never achieve anything in life simply because they don't try? How many more give up as soon as they meet adversity?

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

To actually list all the things that Karate has helped me in my outside of the dojo life would be boring for all to try and read and cause severe hand cramping for me. I can see everyday how Karate has helped me mentally and physically deal with others in the work place and at home. Karate does equal life!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

There's a reason they call it karate-do and not karate-don't. :)

Take away the techniques from other arts and you likely have nothing. Take them away from karate-do and you still have a strong system of values that lead to a better person, and thus a better society as a whole.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I think you have it right here. Although I don't practice karate, I have learned much of the same aspects through the study of my art as well. Things like integrity, and perserverance, have helped me in all kinds of ways. I feel like I am a better person today than I was 4 years ago, and in 4 more years, I will be a better person than I am today. And hopefully, I can help a few more people make themselves better on the way.

When I have a bad day at the school, I try to think to myself: "I will go home, and tomorrow, I will be better for it. I can learn from this, and I will get better."

I try not to look at failures as such. Instead, you could call them OTI's; Opportunities To Improve. :karate:

When I have a bad day at the school, I try to think to myself: "I will go home, and tomorrow, I will be better for it. I can learn from this, and I will get better."

I try not to look at failures as such. Instead, you could call them OTI's; Opportunities To Improve. :karate:

I like that OTI idea. Way to look at things :-)

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

This is exactly what i'm like. Last night i wasn't impressed with my lesson, not because i was making mistakes but because i wasn't able to do my grading work properly because i was asked to do it with a lower grade and he didn't have a clue. When i got home i realised this lad had never done that before and i was like that once....it's all about learning. Karate does equal life. I am happier, more confident, fitter ect. And karate gives me something in life FOR ME. I have my kids who i adore and do everything for, but my karate is just something for me, something i am very passionate about and work hard for.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Absolutely. Karate has always been so much more than just fighting for me. My experiences in my training effect many aspects of my life and vice versa. There is no separation.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last