• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yoko keage geri

Yasutsune Makoto

so I need to develop some really whippy knees? Are there stretches for that, because after training the kick today they are a little sore. Is that likely to be a form thing?

If I am thinking of the correct technique, you want to make sure your lower leg isn't snapping up, putting pressure on the knee. Make sure your kick is still going out, not up.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I couldn't find a video that illustrates the difference between the two.

It's not so much in whipping the knees as it is flicking the leg. At first, you may be a little sore because of the sudden full extension of the leg followed by a quick contraction of the muscles. Over time, this will ease off.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Makoto, always think of "knee to the target." Whether if be low or high, the knee always points to your target. As far as knee soreness, you adjust to that in time. You are probably using muscles you haven't used before, and also if you are kicking wrong it will get sore as well. Don't let the foot snap out to the point where it disconnects from the knee eigther. This is another reason why you snap back so the muscles will contract and prevent the knee from disconnecting - so-to-speak.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Kanazawa Sensei has a video out that illustrates the kick very well. I agree the snapping action muct be quick and very sharp and it is not completely to the side its a little off. It can generate quite a bit of power but not anywhere near Yoko Geri Kekomi.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Personally I am not a fan of the two methods of yoko geri kekomi and keage as taught by our school and many other schools.

One lacks speed and the other lacks power.

In about 1975 I was reading a book written by Bruce Lee where he talked of his method of combining the two kicks into one for speed and power.

So I started practising it. It took me some time to get the hang of it but I have practised it outside the dojo ever since. (Except when I am sparring in the dojo).

Basically you launch the kick in the same manner as a snap kick but at the very end of the kick you suddenly drive your hips into the kick for power. That way you achieve the speed of a snap kick and power of a thrust kick.

I really dont know why traditional Karate schools dont incorporate this technique because it is, without doubt, a far more effective way of performing the kick.

An excellent way to develop kicingk speed and power is to do a lot of bag work.

I would recommend this workout on a bag for kicks.

3 minutes of non stop kicks - right leg

Rest one minute

3 minutes of non stop kicks - left leg

Rest one minute

Thats one set.

Do as many sets as you can until complete exhaustion.

Rise again the next day with the same strict regiment.

Build this into your planned training schedule and it will work wonders.

In addition to this you need to develop explosive leg power.

Use these exercises to do so:

Running up hill sprints

Squat jumps

Lunges

Burpees

Wall squats

Body weight squats

Duck walks

Knee ups

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

It is a useless kick, and my advice is to not even bother with it.

nothing is useless if it is done properly. this kick has many uses when done properly.

ever been flicked in the butt by a towel? it hurts. this kick uses the same principal. its a snap technique, not designed to go thru a brick wall.

Let me clarrify a few things here. Side snap kick is useless in a self-defense situation. The kick was introduced into Japanese schools as a means of flexibilty and fitness for the students, not as a self defensive kick. If you look at any older styled kata, they use a front kick, not a side snap kick. They turn toward the opponent and fire out a front kick. Before you say, hang on, what if someone attacks you from the side, the defender slides away from the attacker to face them, and viola, a front kick is applied to the groin, knee, shin, or ankle.

nothing is useless if it is done properly. this kick has many uses when done properly.

ever been flicked in the butt by a towel? it hurts. this kick uses the same principal. its a snap technique, not designed to go thru a brick wall.

Let me clarrify a few things here. Side snap kick is useless in a self-defense situation. The kick was introduced into Japanese schools as a means of flexibilty and fitness for the students, not as a self defensive kick. If you look at any older styled kata, they use a front kick, not a side snap kick. They turn toward the opponent and fire out a front kick. Before you say, hang on, what if someone attacks you from the side, the defender slides away from the attacker to face them, and viola, a front kick is applied to the groin, knee, shin, or ankle.

I feel that most techniques can have a use in self-defense. I look at this snapping side kick as kind of like a jab, but with a kick. I would use a jab in self-defense, so why not a "jab kick" to the knee in self-defense? It does not take a lot of pressure to buckle a knee, therefore it could be very effective in self-defense.

And your advice is based on what experience??

Sorry to challenge you, but this is a strong statement you have made.

As Zorbasan said, every technique has a use if you know what you are doing. The idea of the kick is not to break things, but to apply a snap to vulnerable areas such as kidneys, groid, jaw, armpit, tricep, inner thigh etc.

If you're going to make a statement saying that something is useless, please state the reasons you believe as such.

I trained in Shotokan for about 15 years, and am quite familiar with side-snap kick. I stopped doing Shotokan about 6 years ago, and my hips and ankles have never been better.

Why would you want to attack the kidneys. jaw, armpit or tricep with a kick? Kicking above the waiste in self-defense is a big no-no, as the attacker can certainly get hold of your leg. You are better off using a thrusting side kick to attack the knees, groin, shin or ankle.

Kanazawa Sensei has a video out that illustrates the kick very well. I agree the snapping action muct be quick and very sharp and it is not completely to the side its a little off. It can generate quite a bit of power but not anywhere near Yoko Geri Kekomi.

Doesn't the supporting leg have to bent slightly to get that 'bounce' feeling when your snapping out the kicking leg?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk