• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yoko keage geri

Yasutsune Makoto

I can't figure out how to develop this technique into something that I could actually use. The main problem is...

lack of power.

Any suggestions on how to develop this technique so it is actually worth something other than a floppy leg?

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a side snap kick.

Makoto, with side snap, it's not about power, but speed to apply shock to the target. Critical factors are using hips, like a pendulum action, relaxing your leg below the knee (as in getting ready to snap a towel), the knee is up and moves with the hip, let the foot go out naturally with the leg, and don't think about how fast or hard the foot goes out, but how fast you can bring the foot back to the relaxed coiled position that you started from when the foot reaches the target or focal point. It's exactly like snapping a towel with your hands - no different.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I can't figure out how to develop this technique into something that I could actually use. The main problem is...

lack of power.

Any suggestions on how to develop this technique so it is actually worth something other than a floppy leg?

It works real well as a snap to the groin or my favorite app....

snap to the kidneys.

Its all in the snapping while rising its not a power tech but a stinging one.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

It is a useless kick, and my advice is to not even bother with it.

nothing is useless if it is done properly. this kick has many uses when done properly.

ever been flicked in the butt by a towel? it hurts. this kick uses the same principal. its a snap technique, not designed to go thru a brick wall.

Now you use head for something other than target.

It is a useless kick, and my advice is to not even bother with it.

And your advice is based on what experience??

Sorry to challenge you, but this is a strong statement you have made.

As Zorbasan said, every technique has a use if you know what you are doing. The idea of the kick is not to break things, but to apply a snap to vulnerable areas such as kidneys, groid, jaw, armpit, tricep, inner thigh etc.

If you're going to make a statement saying that something is useless, please state the reasons you believe as such.

To answer your question sir, forget power. The idea of the technique is snap and speed. As well as attacking vulnerable areas, it can also be used just to gain enough time to get a stronger technique in. Think about getting the kick out and back as long as possible. Minimise un-necessary movement such as rotating the supporting foot like you would do in Yoko-Geri Kekomi and the thrust of the hips. Hip rotation is fine, but just make sure that the primary goal is to get it out with a SNAP and back as fast as possible.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

If someone could download a video of this side snap kick, and a video of the regular side thrust kick, I would appreciate it. Then, I could see the difference in the delivery.

When I do a side kick, I guess a snapping kick would be off of my front leg, without as much hip rotation, but still pivoting the base foot. If I am getting close here, let me know.