• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hitting/Striking Harder

The physics equation for power does not apply to the power in a Martial context. As well all know, it's about energy transfer. I could strap a weight to my hand and swing it fast, that won't give me a powerful punch. Using correct hips and mussle tension and yes, speed will however help with a powerful punch.

I've been looking for a good formula for power, but unfortunately, it's just not that simple.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow, thank you for all the replies! In response to ladyj: yes, our instructors are always telling us to kick/punch/etc. through the pad whenever we're doing pad drills; it just seems like my best hasn't been good enough lately and I think I've figured out what's wrong. I used to go to karate 5-6 times a week when I was in high school, but now that I've started college (I'll be going into my sophomore year this fall) I haven't been able to hit the gym or attend the Taekwondo Club we have as much as I'd like to. (I only came home on breaks during the year and went to karate during that time.) Now that it's summer and I'm able to go back...well, I guess it's starting to show. It hurts to do the splits and I've lost a bit of my flexibility :P *Sigh* It's also just really frustrating that I'm short/small and don't have a lot of weight behind me to throw into my strikes.

"It's not just Karate, it's a way of life."

The physics equation for power does not apply to the power in a Martial context. As well all know, it's about energy transfer. I could strap a weight to my hand and swing it fast, that won't give me a powerful punch. Using correct hips and mussle tension and yes, speed will however help with a powerful punch.

I've been looking for a good formula for power, but unfortunately, it's just not that simple.

I am not sure that I agree with this. True, those parts of the technique are very important, that is Power=Speed + Technique part of the principle. Improving how fast your strike travels will improve your power as well.

I am not sure that I agree with this. True, those parts of the technique are very important, that is Power=Speed + Technique part of the principle. Improving how fast your strike travels will improve your power as well.

sure, but only to a limited extent. For example, I weigh 230 and am only like 15% body fat - size wise, I am about mike tyson's size, as I am only about 5'10. I have a longer reach than him though. Anyway, with my weight, training, speed and power, there is no way in the world karategirl could EVER produce enough speed to allow her to punch as hard as I do. However, she can do things to increase her power. Speed is one portion. She also needs to perfect her technique and increaser her strength and power output. She could also increase her weight, but she may not want to do that.

it will to an extent, once again, a limited one. by adding the weight, you have added mass. by adding mass, you must add speed to strike at the same speed you did with an empty hand. In addition, your hand is now more dense as it's full of cast-iron. That is known as a fist-load, and is illegal in fighting. it's illegal for a reason...

I agree completely, technique, muslce tension etc aren't everything. I'm just saying that neither is mass and speed. I think it's a combination of all those things.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I agree completely, technique, muslce tension etc aren't everything. I'm just saying that neither is mass and speed. I think it's a combination of all those things.

I agree with you here. That is why I try to include both equations for power when I start discussing it. Both are important, and it is important to know what you have to work with as well.