• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seisan

armanox

As was asked of Anonymous One, if you would be so kind to post what you consider to be better. The three BB in the clip are in my opinion some of the best martial artists that I've seen, and all three of them have BB in multiple styles, both of karate and of other MAs. I also have to call you on what seemed to be an attack on our school - we are indeed of the "Shuri te" lineage. All of are BB have trained with Takeshi Miyagi, who promoted some of them in there dan ranks, and Miyahira himself personally promoted our sensei to nanadan, and certified him to teach and promote in Kobayahsi Ryu. A copy of his liscence is availible here if you doubt me. I posted the video not for critique, the Okinawa approves of our Yundansha's techniques, and the green belts at the time were just promoted. I posted it for people to see the version, since I do not know more information about its origin to provide a more discriptive name, in hopes that someone else could provide insight as to its origin and also so that we could all see different versions of Seisan that we perhaps are not familiar with. Also, the purpose of the kata is not to build speed, rather proper techinique. It was slowed for the Yonkyu's shown in the video, to show there techinique, not teach them speed before being able to do the movements properly.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen so many different variations on so many different kata thoughout the course of my life. Just about every school will perform the same kata a different way. Although the basic movements are still the same, it can look like a very different kata altogether.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

As was asked of Anonymous One, if you would be so kind to post what you consider to be better. The three BB in the clip are in my opinion some of the best martial artists that I've seen, and all three of them have BB in multiple styles, both of karate and of other MAs. I also have to call you on what seemed to be an attack on our school - we are indeed of the "Shuri te" lineage. All of are BB have trained with Takeshi Miyagi, who promoted some of them in there dan ranks, and Miyahira himself personally promoted our sensei to nanadan, and certified him to teach and promote in Kobayahsi Ryu. A copy of his liscence is availible here if you doubt me. I posted the video not for critique, the Okinawa approves of our Yundansha's techniques, and the green belts at the time were just promoted. I posted it for people to see the version, since I do not know more information about its origin to provide a more discriptive name, in hopes that someone else could provide insight as to its origin and also so that we could all see different versions of Seisan that we perhaps are not familiar with. Also, the purpose of the kata is not to build speed, rather proper techinique. It was slowed for the Yonkyu's shown in the video, to show there techinique, not teach them speed before being able to do the movements properly.

this should be a Kyan version of seisan

this is the first version i learned it from a student of shimabukuru in shobayashi ryu,

Shohan ,

is this the way you do seisan?

armanox,

if you are intrested in this kata ,you may wanna find out when they changed the beginig stances to cat stance in your lineage. i divide the seisan into 3 cat. for begining of the kata

1- Naha-te they move in sanchin dachi

2-shuri-te lineage Hangetsu stance with different depth( from shotokan to wado ryu and ishin-ryu...)

3-shuri-te , squar stance turn to front stance after the block on the punch

(this could be a tomari version like Kyan...)

you guys do cat stance which is new to me but i saw one more KF member who said they use cat stance as well.

anybody can help with some history lesson here?

I must say that I have seen that kata in tournament , but it looks nothing in movement nor performance of Okinawa goju-ryu sesan kata. Don

pain is weakness leaving the body.....moo ichi do.......A black belt is a white belt that did not give up.

• 3 months later...
Korean styles do the form as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8SOgfPhZRBU

Soo Bahk Do's version.

We call it hangetsu, but don't use hangetsu dachi, but unlike SBD, we use front kicks.

Nice form.

Soo Bahk Do's version.

We call it hangetsu, but don't use hangetsu dachi, but unlike SBD, we use front kicks.

Didn't know it made it into Korean styles. It was well done though. Also the first version I've seen that used side kicks.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Soo Bahk Do's version.

Didn't know it made it into Korean styles. It was well done though. Also the first version I've seen that used side kicks.

I beleive that practitioner is a 6th dan in the Mi Guk Kwan of Tang Soo Do. So I hope it'd be good :)

I like his form as well. We do Seisan with some different mechanics and keep the front kick.

Many Tang Soo Do schools have a syllabus very similar to many Japanese karate styles.