• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai Dai

jka_guyana

Anybody got any tips on how to do this kata (bassai dai) and make me exert my full potential in it? I do Shotokan. I am a member of the JKA. The name of my Sensei is Amir Khouri 5th Dan. The name of our chief examiner is Frank Woon-A-Tai 7th Dan. He is based in Canada. His team is third in the world and I am honored to be under the command of this prestigious black belt. Here in Guyana the karate is not as popular as in other countries but it is going places. I am a brown belt 2nd kyu. We do not use stripes though.

In Guyana this is how we do it:

white>yellow>orange>green>purple 1 and 2>brown 1, 2 and 3>black etc.

I plan on becoming one of the highest in the country of Guyana and I really want to incorporate Karate into every Guyanese citizen when I become of that status. I have grading in November. Just for the records this post was made in July 2006.

Our club membership is divided into children and senior. I am a child of 13. I will become an adult when I am 14. Which happens to be October 31st. I am not very boastful about it but I am one of the best Shotokan 2nd Kyu's in my country. I'd like to become the very very very best I can be.

Will you please offer any tips and technical advice on the kata named: Bassai Dai? Thank You very much in advance!

2nd Kyu || Brown Belt || JKA Guyana

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get better, work harder. Remember that rank is virtually meaningless and, one day, you will reach your true goal. That goal probably hasn't even occured to you yet.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Without watching you do the kata, and being able to see for myself wher you need improvement, I can't give you any real advice on it. I am 18 and a 1st kyu myself, and although legally an adult, I still feel very much like a child. Just make it clear to your teachers that you want to exell as much as you can, and ask for their help in pushing you to be the best that you can be. Good luck.

Instead of asking on tips of how to do it, how about questions as to what parts of the kata you are having trouble with. Then we can correct from there with tips on individual critical points of the kata.

We, online, can't give you help if we don't know specifically what parts you are having difficulty with.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

when i do the uchi uke....my my front leg draws up...i'm doing it in front stance (zen)...my alternative is drawing up the back leg ....but then that makes my arm come in making it look choked thus the power is going in the wrong direction...

and i have a poblem carrying my hips all the way around to 135 degrees..shortning my stance is an alterative...but the same thing happens with my arm.

2nd Kyu || Brown Belt || JKA Guyana

Guyana - use the resources that are already out there, study them every day, and practice like hell! I really recommend the "Best Karate" book series (there is a Bassai Dai / Kanku Dai edition) and study the subtleties of the pictures such as hand / feet positioning BETWEEN the steps. Also - there are lots of links on the net with videos of the katas (ie. Kanazawa sensei blue videos). These are also great to learn the moves (although timing is at a slower "instructional" pace - so be careful). There are also some really old JKA videos at full speed - which will help you with your pace. Finally, video tape yourself doing the kata and see what you really look like (or share with others). Oh, I did I mention practice practice practice??

Bassai Dai is a brilliant kata. I to kept making the mistake of bringing my front foot in when doing the uchi uki, but you just have to keep a metal note of not to do it and you'll be fine. This kata also requires lots of hip movements for the twists and turns. Like everyone else says, practice practice practice...and good luck to you.

Kez x

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I suggest that you have a look at this website... It uses the traditional stances of Shotokan (extended Zen Kutsu Dachi) rather than the JKA, but still the Kata is the same.

I love Bassai Dai! My fave of all Kata's! :D

http://www.lelandvandervort.info/ma/index.php?doc=3

Have a look through, a good site! :D

About your Uchi Uke... have you thought about shortning your stance when you do it. It seems that because of your back leg is coming up, your stance may be too long.

Any qestions, do ask / PM me etc... :lol:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

Shui Tora is right. It is likely that you are shortening your stance because it is too long. When you step into the position from which you will do the uche uke, make sure that your stance is small enough that you can do the next moves without having to adjust it. I have a similar problem with the kata enpi.

Nice site shui tora. Obviously the best way to really get good at something is to practice. It is very hard to get advice from all of us in the forum because we cannot see your kata, and every kata has some variations in it from school to school. My best advice would be to go directly to your instructor and have them work with you on the kata.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.