Kazuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read MA After 40 as well. Very good book.

yea, I checked it out at the library but need to buy one for my collection. I am actually becoming quite fond of Mr. Kim. I like Ultimate Flexibility as well, everything you need to know about dynamic and static stretching. You may have read it as I have seen your posts and your very knowl edgable about MA. :) I am reading Teaching Martial Arts by him now.

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

I have read MA After 40 as well. Very good book.

yea, I checked it out at the library but need to buy one for my collection. I am actually becoming quite fond of Mr. Kim. I like Ultimate Flexibility as well, everything you need to know about dynamic and static stretching. You may have read it as I have seen your posts and your very knowl edgable about MA. :) I am reading Teaching Martial Arts by him now.

I have read Teaching Martial Arts, and I also own a copy of The Martial Artists Desk Reference, also by Kim. I also own Ultimate Flexibility, but have not read it yet. A very resourceful person.

As we age, we deal with a little more pain, a little more stiffness etc. :

Yes indeed.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I think they have mastered the art of KARATE, not the art of being fit... but then again bruce lee thought that to master the art of fighting (which is actually a pretty big part of karat) you had to be in top shape.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

it may also depend on what kind of style they practice. my first sensei in goju was a very (and i mean severely) tough woman who would flatten you with a glance, but she looked overweight, until you hit her that is. after hitting sensei in the gut (and seeing that your strongest blows had no effect whatever on her) you would learn that she trained her abs more than any other muscle in her body. in goju it is kind of a body type that they aspire to: extremely developed ab muscles that will absorb the energy of a strike without damage. the quality is called "rubbery" but it does not mean "flabby." more...solid. sensei was powerful and her power came from her center.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog

after reading the last post from atalaya...size does not matter. Some styles complement large bodies better. But besides that...size does not matter. Sometimes Americans (and others) we thing everyone has to be thin, trim and such in order to do anything athletic. MA is for all body types. Just my view

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Killer miller that was a great story, good for you man!! I have never known any fat karate masters, although there are some fat guys in our club and despite them training they can never put the correct effort in (on of them recently failed black belt).

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Thanks,

He actually turned out to be a great person and a really good friend. He was just COCKY at first and just needed some guidence and direction in life at the time...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

after reading the last post from atalaya...size does not matter. Some styles complement large bodies better. But besides that...size does not matter. Sometimes Americans (and others) we thing everyone has to be thin, trim and such in order to do anything athletic. MA is for all body types. Just my view

These are very good points here. Not everyone can be the thin and trim athlete. Also, big people can be athletic. Look at sumo wrestlers. I think we would all agree that they don't live the healthiest lifestyles, but they are dedictated to their sport, and do what it requires. These big men are also fairly quick, and quite strong.