• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how are you supposed to wash your belt and gi?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, I have never washed my belt. It shouldn't need it, in my experience.

The gi, wash on the cold/cold cycle, and tumble dry on low, or better yet, hang dry it if you can.

yeah there's no need to wash a gi at high enough temperatures for it to shrink. not for a half decent gi anyway.

i've never washed a belt either.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I suppose you could wash the belt. Most schools tell you not to. But if it's stinky...just wash it with the gi. If you have a belt that has tape on it for stripes, you may want to take them off and replace them after washing.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You don't. They come large and when you wash them they shrink. If you want to minimize the shrinkage, use cold water and hang dry.

Definitely wash your belt! It collects sweat from working out. If you grapple, groundfight it will pick up dust and dirt as well as the sweat of others. On rare occasion, you might get blood on it.

Don't throw your belt in with your dogi as it will stain it.

If it is cotton it will shrink. You can minimize shrinking by washing in cold water only and never put it in the dryer. Hang dry the gi. As for the belt, I washed one years ago and never again

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

If you do wash the belt, don't use bleach!

Also, if you use bleach on your gi, I have found that it makes the gi fall apart sooner because it weakens the fabric.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu