• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Having a yellow belt moment or two or three ...

Much as I love the martial arts and love the fact that it is in my life, I had a moment recently where I just could not cope with being a yellow belt any more ...

I started the martial arts about 7 years ago when I was living in Rockville, MD, USA. My very first TKD instructor was a wonderful person and I trained with him for a short time before he had to have a back operation and the building we trained in was pulled down. With this instructor I achieved a yellow belt.

Now that I had actually started on my road with the martial arts, I moved to a new club and trained and got up to green belt. I was supposed to test for my next belt before I left but I didn't quite feel ready. Anyway, obviously at that club I went through the yellow belt phase.

I then moved to England and started looking for TKD again. In America, I was in TKD WTF but I could not find a club to join so started TKD ITF. I then had to start again at yellow tag and go through the yellow belt experience again ...

While I was doing this, I also started Aikido. This is very interesting and very different from TKD and I am currently an orange belt and will be looking at testing for my green belt shortly, but obviously, I had the yellow belt here as well.

I also started kick boxing to help with my kicks and punches for TKD, but discovered they had their own ranking system and I am a yellow belt again ... However, next week on Thursday, I am grading for my orange belt so all going well I will then be able to remove my yellow belt and put it away.

Finally, on this board, I noticed ... I'm a yellow belt ... LOL

I think that's enough yellow belts for a while :-)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i can sympathise. i've had to move around a lot in recent years. i've been to four jujitsu schools, all operating under different governing bodies. i've been doing jujitsu longer than some of the black belts at my current dojos (there are two; one at university and one at home for the holidays).

its annoying because i've been practicing the basics for so long and i want to learn how to do some more advanced throws and do some proper groundwork, but i keep at it. try to forget about grades and just try to learn what you can and improve yourself with every class you go to.

don't give up, things like this can make you stronger in the end.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I can relate. I had a 2nd degree black belt in the ATA, and then moved, and had no school. I took up TKD in the TTA, and am now a 2nd degree again. Get to test for 3rd in April. Time in TKD: almost 14 years.

I have a similar experience. Between movings it took me 7 years to get my Black Belt. I tested at the same time as a 13 year old girl, who I helped train when she started as a white belt...

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

This is kind of off topic but I can remember about 15 years ago when I was a purple belt...how I hated that color. This is the one time in my life where I can remember trying to get to the next belt as quick as possible. Now, a few years later, and a few dan ranks later I kind of feel a little silly.

p.s. I still will never by choice, wear anything that is purple ;)

Just think of what an awesome yellow belt you must be! Hope you can stick with this school to achieve your black belt. Good luck!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I agree with you there. Sometimes when I am upset with someone, I write a letter to them and then never mail it. It just makes me feel better.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.