• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jumping rope with ankle weights

I've been trying to increase my vertical leap for the sake of learning jumping kicks. To make a long story short, I was considering jumping rope with ankle weights to give me some hops. Has anyone tried this before? Was it successful/useful?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad idea. Verrry bad idea.

Learn plyometrics if you want to increase your vertical jump. Google it and you should find tons of info on the subject.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Bad Idea on the ankle weights. Trust me I'm a trainer. Sohan is right plyometrics and squats.

Gravity is the root of lightness; stillness is the ruler of movement. Lao Tzu

• 2 weeks later...

I agree thats a very bad idea. That will put un-necessary strain on your knee and ankle joints.

Another exercise that will develop you well is up hill sprinting. Find a steep hill and do several sets of 50 to 100 metre sprints.

That will develop explosive leg strength, speed, endurance and will power.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Those are good ideas. I tend to use weights but just when training, and not very often. That would be to help endurance for punching, etc. and never use them on my legs.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu