• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too much yelling...

armanox

Anyone other then myself notice that when they're at a competition, that people just yell and yell and yell? And also kiai excesively. Maybe it's just a result of many of them doing sport karate vs my training in traditional karate? But it seems that exessive shouting has become status quo in karate outside of Okinawa/Japan.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it in my dojo, though we don't compete. Sort of like having a fancy sport car to make up for certain deficiencies, I see excessive kias as a way to make up for deficient power or technique.

We have a fellow in our dojo that continually grunts, hisses, and kias loudly to everything in our class, but forgets his techniques and falls apart terribly in two person free sparring. The quietest guy in the class is probably our most dangerous.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I agree very much. At the last tourney I judged, there was this girl who stood six feet away from me and literally screamed her name, instructor, etc. into my face. Her form was pretty good, but she screamed the whooole time. I think she ended up getting second or something...I put her down for third or fourth.

I tend to just focus on letting out breaths at the proper time, or tightening my body just as a kiai would, but minus the yelling. Although, I must admit to a bit of drama myself in tournaments - unfortunately, that's usually what wins, though.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

When I compete, I must remember to only Kiai when I think I have performed a good technique in order to gain a point(s)...

i think it is unnessecary (sp?) to kiai all the time, when your techniques are not getting the points... Only Kiai where appropiate... :karate:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi