• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite Ab Exercises

UseoForce

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I always liked the boxer kick, and a little variation where I bring my knees in to my chest, and then poke my feet up through my partner's circled arms (if that makes sense).

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the "crunch punches" we do at my school on workout nights! Basically we have our hand pads on, a partner kneeling above us with 2 focus pads for us to hit, and each time we come up from our crunches we have to jab-cross the focus pads.

"It's not just Karate, it's a way of life."

These things my cross country coach used to call "pain thresholds" anyone heard of this under a different name?

You lay on your back with your arms at your sides, then lift your feet, head and arms all about 8-10 inches off the matt and hold that position for about two to three minutes. Then you bicycle your legs for about a minute. Then you put your hands straight out and repeat the process. One more set with your hands directly behind you. I've had lots of fond memories with that one.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Ah yes pain thresholds...I've done them before but we didn't have a name for them. For us it began like this:

1. Lay on your back, arms past your head with hands on the ankles of a partner.

2. Raise your legs up to about your head (make sure you don't bent your knees)...when it gets to reaching distance of your partner they push your legs back to the floor. This is repeated to get a total of 25 (35 for brown belts and 50 for blacks).

3. After performing the proper amount of lifts, you lower your legs to 2-3" from the floor. You then hold them for sixty seconds without moving...next you circle your legs without raising them past about 6" from the floor. Your partner observes this for you so you can focus on the movements.

4. Rest for 60 seconds.

5. Flip over on to your stomach, then life your body from the floor for 60 seconds. You're supporting yourself by your toes & elbows (if you don't have matts your forearms).

6. Rest for 60 seconds.

7. Life body again for another 60 seconds.

8. Repeat 1-7 but this time you're standing & watching your partner as they do the exercise.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good exercises that work the lower abs? I've been doing great working on my upper abs with crunches and such, but now I need something to balance that out :)

"It's not just Karate, it's a way of life."