• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We tend to both look at the other person, and look down. It seems to depend all on context. If you are bowing for kata, tournaments, sparring, etc you are looking at the opponent, so the eyes are up.

If you are bowing a greeting or farewell you look down.

Both are considered signs of respect, in the case of the looking though it is considered a sign of alertness.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have noticed two types of bowing. Some people tend to keep their neck straight and let their head move with their back as they bow while some tend to keep their head up as if to keep their eyes on the opponent

Is there any difference in origin between these two types of bowing? Is it personal preference? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Which to you do?

I do the former: keep my neck straight.

For what it's worth, we follow some contrived habit that was taught to us long, long time ago. Right or wrong, our bow is slight, no more than 30 degrees from the hips. It is done slowly and deliberately. Sometimes the bow is just a small almost imperceptible incline of the upper body. It depends on situation and circumstance. We bow not looking at the other persons eyes but usually the area of the hollow of the throat. Here the theory was that when addressing a senior we do not look in them in the eyes lest we appear to be pretentious or challenging. We do similarly for juniors so's not to appear to be overbearing or demeaning. As for an opponent we do not want the opponent to read our intentions. We like to have the element of surprise on our side, so we slightly avert our eyes, nor do we want to be locked in by a powerful fixed gaze should the opponents spirit be extremely strong. The image here is like being a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. (Moral: Don't be a deer!) As was mentioned earlier it also is less "challenging" this way. Also, by looking at the neck area we can "see" breathing, and catch very small shifts of body weight without having to scan our opponent due to peripheral vision being able to see everything from head to foot. One glance reveals all.

It's all part of heiho, strategy, to overcome your opponent before the fight begins. After the bow, a unexpected quick flash to the eyes with a momentarily locked gaze will hopefully unsettle the opponent. It is here, in this split second, that the outcome is determined. However, the bow is always respectful and heart-felt. I believe never be dishonest with a bow. This way even the slightest acknowledgment has great meaning. Sometimes I think bowing is an art, not unlike cha-no-ryu (tea ceremony). It has to be practiced with your soul to understand its meaning.

I was taught that you look down when you bow to people whom you trust completely because you are bearing your neck showing your trust. Everyone else you keep your eyes on.

A computer beat me in a game of chess once but it was no match for me in a kickboxing match

We bow a bit deeper, like a 30 degree bow, when bowing into the dojo, the training floor, or sensei's office. With that bow, the head inclines downward.

When bowing to a person, though, we bow a little less, like 15 degrees, and we do keep our eyes on the other person.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

hm.... i feel a little foolish now reading everybody else, but i not only look straight down, i close my eyes, too. i don't bow to incredibly often, so when i do i like to show complete trust.

unless, of course, i'm with someone i don't know and trust very well. then i look at their feet, which i think is a good enough indication of their intentions. i can't imagine anyone doing much with their feet stationary at shoulder width or narrower.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I have noticed two types of bowing. Some people tend to keep their neck straight and let their head move with their back as they bow while some tend to keep their head up as if to keep their eyes on the opponent

Is there any difference in origin between these two types of bowing? Is it personal preference? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Which to you do?

I do the former: keep my neck straight.

It's all part of heiho, strategy, to overcome your opponent before the fight begins. After the bow, a unexpected quick flash to the eyes with a momentarily locked gaze will hopefully unsettle the opponent. It is here, in this split second, that the outcome is determined. However, the bow is always respectful and heart-felt. I believe never be dishonest with a bow. This way even the slightest acknowledgment has great meaning. Sometimes I think bowing is an art, not unlike cha-no-ryu (tea ceremony). It has to be practiced with your soul to understand its meaning.

My sentiments exactly. Much like a punch, as many times as I have bowed I never seem to feel I have "mastered" it.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

i have always been told that when bowing to a superior such as your sensei, lower your gaze to show respect, but when bowing to an opponent maintain eye contact and awareness.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

So the true answer is.... do what you are told to do, I guess. When doing kata, my gaze is always a few feet in front of me. When I bow to my instructor, I do meet his eyes. I guess before I spar, I look at the eyes of my opponent too. This was a neat post.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

We (at TKD) bow with eyes lowered, looking towards the floor (although not directly down). I've always been taught that is is disrespectful to look someone in the eye when you bow to them as it shows you don't trust them, and if you don't trust someone then why would you bow?

At my karate club we don't tend to bow as deeply as we do at my TKD school, plus some people keep their eyes on their opponents. I don't but there is no right or wrong.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!