• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uniform for small martial artist

I need some uniform advice. I'm shopping for a second uniform for practices, and I want one that's comfortable, durable, and . . . OK, flattering!

I'm a small person, 5'3" and about 107#. I wear a size 3, but only because the size 2 pants are too short.

I'd like a uniform that drapes well rather than a stiff, heavyweight one, maybe one with that diamond-weave fabric. I bought one on-line, but it's stiff, like my usual twill uniform.

Can anyone direct me to a nice, medium to light-weight uniform (white, please, I'm just a brown belt) with a v-neck?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I need some uniform advice. I'm shopping for a second uniform for practices, and I want one that's comfortable, durable, and . . . OK, flattering!

I'm a small person, 5'3" and about 107#. I wear a size 3, but only because the size 2 pants are too short.

I'd like a uniform that drapes well rather than a stiff, heavyweight one, maybe one with that diamond-weave fabric. I bought one on-line, but it's stiff, like my usual twill uniform.

Can anyone direct me to a nice, medium to light-weight uniform (white, please, I'm just a brown belt) with a v-neck?

Both Century and AWMA carry middle weight uniforms. My personal favorite for a middle weight is the 8 oz Pro Force at AWMA.

I haven't bought one in a few years though, I usually go with the 50/50 heavyweights, as I instruct and they look/wear much better.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Kwon also makes a good uniform. Sang Moo Sa does as well. The problem ya might run into is your need for different sizes. I don't know of any that will break up a v-neck set. Although, a few do it for "traditional" uniforms.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Karate-kid.co.uk will split uniforms on request, for a charge. They ship internationally too.

I have a bigger top than I do bottoms because of my, uh, womanly assets so I always find that if I buy a uniform that is all one size the trousers are often too large. I'd love a custom made one, but can't afford it. :(

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 5 weeks later...

ADIDAS ALL THE WAY... awesome lightweight cotton weave and it will keep you dry and it won't stick to you!!

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

I too have a "well rounded" figure, but am short. So, I have to get larger uniforms, but end up taking about 5-7 inches off the length of tops and bottoms.

If a top fits and the bottom is too big, you can resize it some by turning it inside out and stitching outer seams. there aren't usually outer seams on a pair of pants, but it should work to take them down a bit by just removing a bit of the "bagginess" of the material that way. You can do a "test run" by setting the machine to as long a stitch as you can, and loosening up the tension some, just enough to tack it together. You can then turn them back right side out and try 'em on to see the effect before becoming "committed" to the change you made.

what goes around, comes around

• 1 month later...

Are you sure it's stiff? When I got my uniform it was stiff, whenever I get another belt its stiff, but it will loosen up provided you do enough ;)

Can't say much more usefull any further.

Green belt Tang Soo Do. And I love it!

Century has a uniform that is one of the most comfortable. It is medium heavyweight, 100% brushed cotten - #0439 I think. It washes nice and doesn't need to be ironed and it is inexpensive.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.