• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need Advice

Cmon

I'm sure you've read hundreds of these posts but heres my situation.

I want to beef up some. Im not looking to get bigger in specific areas to help with my MA as my MA training will help there.

I want to generally beef up, get six pack (or close to), get bigger all round my back, legs and arms. And also the "V" shape on the stomach leading down below.

Now im not in bad shape now, but i need some help with what exercises are good for training each area. I have no weights.

"Beefing" up in general will help in all areas of MA and generally my health so i reduce the chance of injury through strain.

Just really need some direction/help as to what specific techniques/exercises to do.

Thank you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want to beef up some. Im not looking to get bigger in specific areas to help with my MA as my MA training will help there.

I want to generally beef up, get six pack (or close to), get bigger all round my back, legs and arms. And also the "V" shape on the stomach leading down below.

Now im not in bad shape now, but i need some help with what exercises are good for training each area. I have no weights.

"Beefing" up in general will help in all areas of MA and generally my health so i reduce the chance of injury through strain.

Just really need some direction/help as to what specific techniques/exercises to do.

Thank you.

Use the search function. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Thank you.

Use the search function. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Aodhan

Ok then,

Well for now ive got this.

Stomach crunches for abs (sit ups)

Crunches left armt to right knee, right arm to left knee.

Push ups in the normal way.

Push ups were you put your hands together and make a diamond shape (would be helpful if someone explained exactly what part of my arm that exercises)

Squats

Tri Dips

Running

And then my usual stretches.

Can anyone think of an exercise for the "V" shape muscle, or does that get worked with crunches?

Thnx.

Stomach crunches for abs (sit ups)

Crunches left armt to right knee, right arm to left knee.

Push ups in the normal way.

Push ups were you put your hands together and make a diamond shape (would be helpful if someone explained exactly what part of my arm that exercises)

Squats

Tri Dips

Running

And then my usual stretches.

Can anyone think of an exercise for the "V" shape muscle, or does that get worked with crunches?

Thnx.

Ok, differentiate between traditional situps (bending at the waist), and crunches. Bending at the waist will have minimal work on the abs. Crunches should be done for both upper and lower abs.

The side crunches will help work the obliques.

Pushups work the triceps primarily, the chest secondary. the closer the hands to each other, the more you will work the chest as you mimic the "hugging" motion that the pecs are designed to actually do, rather than the "pushing" motion that everyone traditionally uses (flat bench press, push up).

Tri dips are good, as are the squats.

you need to balance out your workout. You have a lot of tricep exercises, but none for the biceps. You have some pec work, but nothing for the lats. You have no shoulder work, no calf work, and squats only works half your leg muscles primarily. You also have no exercises for the lower back, which with intensive ab work can lead to an imbalance that will cause lower back pain down the road. If you work one muscle group, you should work the opposing group as well.

Not sure what you mean by the "V" shape. Usually that refers to the wide shoulder/narrow waist type shape.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

It sounds like you need overall body conditioning. If you approach this objective by looking at specific muscle groups and doing exercises that isolate those muscle groups, it might take you a long time, if you ever get there. I would try to do exercise that involve as many muscle groups as possible. Consider sand bag exercises. You don't need a gym or special equipment. Get yourself a sturdy bag (no handles) and fill it with 50 pounds of sand. Grab it, lift it, toss it, squat with it, row with it, sprint with it. You get the idea.

if you can joina gym by you, here generally they are cheap. here are some websites that might help.

http://www.davedraper.com/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

i personally ordered a book on ebay (much cheaper) called essentials of physical conditioning and training. i hear its what personal trainers read to pass their tests. that might be off your intrest.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

Don't know if this'll help... But this is my workout plan.

Monday - Upper Body Exercises with Dumbells. As well as push ups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups, bench press, dead lifts, etc. Along with my everday exercises. (Ab work, ride bike for 5-10ks, row for 10 minutes, skip for x amount of jumps.)

Tuesday - Lower Body Exercises with Dumbells. Plus everyday stuff.

Wednesday - Everyday stuff only.

Thursday - Upper Body Exercises again. Plus everday stuff.

Friday - Lower Body Exercises again. Plus everyday stuff.

Saturday - Footy, so mostly running. Plus everyday stuff.

Sunday - Rest.

It's starting to work, steadily.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee

Thnx,

The crunches i do tend to be more of a crunching motion then a sit up..short but controlled. I never goo all the way up to my knees.

Aodhan, you were saying about lower back pain/stress well that is primarily why i want to get bigger. The past few months ive been having lower back pain, tightness and my flexability has reduced a lot.

Thnx for explaining what each area does in more depth. Does anyone know of any exercises that i could do to engage the areas i am not engaging. Exercises that do not rely equipment.

Also would running exercise the other parts of my legs that squats do not?

I am trying to achieve all round physical conditioning like Meguro said. Im not looking to be a body builder, but to be healthier and fitter as not to lead to inury. Also its nice to be more muscular. lol.

Just "getting bigger" won't help low back pain. In fact, it will probably make it worse.

I suggest good mornings and deadlifts.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I have and have had lots of lower back pain due to weight training, Getting alittle too overconfident on the back extensions when I was a lifting newbie, still causing me alot of hassle to this day, but Deadlifts and good mornings on a light weight will do wonder, Best bet is to go to the doctors as soon as possible and just get them to give it a once over, The GP basically said to me that staying active and giving my back some work is the best way, and to just grunt out the pain else It'll never get better

Without weights I'd suggest Pressups, chrunches and various differnt types of Pullup's if you have a bar or a beam thats sturdy enough to take your body weight. Theres also numerous items around the house you can improvise with, Such as bags of sugar etc. experiemnt alittle :-)

But if you can get into a gym with the basics like dumbbells and barbells all the better, The upperback is a great area to train to bring out that V shape too apparently.