• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pulled Hammy ... HELP!!!

All I can say is take it slowly. I pulled mine badly. I foolishly returned to class too quickly and then hurt it again. I stopped for about four months, but not really! I could never stand to miss class. I taught more and I took up the chucks and kali sticks so that I would not focus on missing class. I too read a lot, and I got some ultrasound and massage done through a chiropractic office. Stretch slowly and don't over do it. When I returned full time to class, I had no flexibility; I was upset, as I thought my karate days were over. Anyway, nine months or so later, I have my flexibility but also a soreness after class. Again I find warming up and stretching more important than ever. I will even excuse my self from class activities now to take care of myself. I don't want to be out for good. I don't know if it will every heal all the way.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah when I first started back I had that same feeling like I was going to hurt it again. I used to be able to set in a full split I don't even try now In fact I rarely kick higher than the waste now with anything but a front snap kick. Before I got hurt I could do a lot of combo, jump, and spin kicks for a big guy. However after the hamstring I have became a much better Martial Artist becasue I realized its nto about that. I really developed my hand speed in that time. I also focused on some weapons like sword and bo.

You may feel it is better in a few weeks but be careful becaue you will just pull it again. Slowly work with it and don't try anything that may strain it for at least a year. Like AX kick breaks. Make sure it is good or you may be out a long time.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Ok, G95. No more Jump axe kicks for a while :grin: Yes, I did work a lot on my hand techniques during class and my forms (minus right leg kicks).

But I did find out that I could do a side kick with my right leg (the bad one) with no problem. I could never kick high with the side kick anyways. But front and round kicks hurt. That is weird to me. It uses different muscle group, I guess? I just won't stress front or round kicks for a while. I'll lightly stretch and take it easy.

Thanks again guys :smile:

Laurie F

Yeah side kicks focus on the hip flexor not the hamrstring. I really don't recall if they hurt me or not lol. I would also think a spinning back kick should be safe because that is not a hamstring kick.

When this time passes for you Im sure you will be a better Martial Artist because you will have had the chance to look at it from a differant prospective.

What style do you do?

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

On 2002-04-26 21:40, G95champ wrote:

OMG I feel so bad for you. I tore min in 97 dong a split. Sounded like a gun going off. I was out more than 6 months.

Youch, when Thunder Thighs go bad!

Do unto others, as they done to you.

I just realized your rank and style ws listed under your name I guess I could have looked a bit I guess. LOL. I would say TKD will be a bit harder for you to get back in the swing of things because all of the kicking.

Hiya G95.

I agree. But I did the same thing (not as bad) to my left leg in my previous school, and I was better within a month. But I know this will take longer. I was also going to get into Judo or jujitsu, but not till my leg heals now.

I have another question for ya. I realized I have a "knot" on the back of my knee now. Is that from pulling the hammy? When I walk, I can feel this knot, and it hurts sometimes. And I can feel something there with my fingers. Today, I'm really stiff from my butt to my knee. I hope I didn't "snap" a muscle and it's just hangin out there behind my knee.

Laurie F

From what I understand, you shouldn't be able to move the leg if you'd snapped the muscle. However, it might not be a bad idea to have a doctor (or at least a trainer) take a look at the leg. You can never be too cautious. :cool:

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

Hiya Tessone.

Oh good. I can still move it, so it can't be the muscle. Thank goodness.

As far as a doc looking at it, can I borrow the cash to see a doc? :lol: I'm broke. Anyways, I nursed my left leg back to health, so I can do the same with this one.

Laurie F