• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Many Kata Does Your System Require...

Sohan

Let's see if memory serves...

To get green belt:

Kihon I-V

Nafanchin I-III

Siesan

To get brown:

Pinan I-V

Itotsu no Passai

To get shodan

Matsumura no Passai

Kusanku Sho + Dai

Chinto

5 Sai kata

3 Nunchuku kata (uncertian on exact number)

3 Bo kata(uncertain on exact number)

So assuming that I remembered correctly, that makes 19 empty handed and 11 weapons kata for Shodan

Wow. 11 weapons kata for Shodan. We only require 2, but 31 other empty handed kata. We study Shobayashi Shorin Ryu, as I see you study Kobayashi. Even if you take the Shudokan kata out, we still have about 23 kata from Shorin Ryu--sounds like we have about the same empty hand kata.

That's a lot of weapons work. Sounds fun, though.

With respect,

Sohan

Well, there is a five year minimum to shodan from ju-kyu. They need to have something to fill it up :P. Also, that still leaves plenty of kata, especially weapons kata, for after shodan. The "BlackBelt-Only" weapons include tonfa, kama, eku bo, more bo, and more nunchuku, not to mention several more empty handed kata.

Shobayashi Ryu, I've heard of it.....breifly....Just out of curiousity, does your Shorin Ryu class have any contacts in Okinawa? Methinks me just had an idea for a new thread.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shorin ryu shorinkan

official katas

Naihanchi 1-3

Pinan 1-5

Passai Sho

Kusanku Sho

Chinto

Passai Dai

Kusanku Dai

Gojushiho

plus weapon katas

White Crane as we do

NiJuKen

Shorinji Sanchin

ShoTsuruken

Hi TsuruKen

RushuKen

Tsuru Sanchin

Kinjo Hakutsuru

PaiHok

Masumura Hakutsuru

Umi Inagu suihe Hakutsuru

plus Hohen Soken Bo figthing techniques.

We have 12 to shodan, the last 3 are for the student to choose from so they can pick a kata to perform.

Taigyoku Shodan

Taigyoku Nidan

Saifa

Gekisai Dai Ichi

Bassai Dai

Sanseru

Seiyunchin

Hangetsu

Tensho

Empi

Seipai

Jion

:karate:

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Let's see if memory serves...

To get green belt:

Kihon I-V

Nafanchin I-III

Siesan

To get brown:

Pinan I-V

Itotsu no Passai

To get shodan

Matsumura no Passai

Kusanku Sho + Dai

Chinto

5 Sai kata

3 Nunchuku kata (uncertian on exact number)

3 Bo kata(uncertain on exact number)

So assuming that I remembered correctly, that makes 19 empty handed and 11 weapons kata for Shodan

Wow. 11 weapons kata for Shodan. We only require 2, but 31 other empty handed kata. We study Shobayashi Shorin Ryu, as I see you study Kobayashi. Even if you take the Shudokan kata out, we still have about 23 kata from Shorin Ryu--sounds like we have about the same empty hand kata.

That's a lot of weapons work. Sounds fun, though.

With respect,

Sohan

Well, there is a five year minimum to shodan from ju-kyu. They need to have something to fill it up :P. Also, that still leaves plenty of kata, especially weapons kata, for after shodan. The "BlackBelt-Only" weapons include tonfa, kama, eku bo, more bo, and more nunchuku, not to mention several more empty handed kata.

Shobayashi Ryu, I've heard of it.....breifly....Just out of curiousity, does your Shorin Ryu class have any contacts in Okinawa? Methinks me just had an idea for a new thread.

Yes, Eizo Shimabuku is our grandmaster for Shobayashi Shorin-ryu and he lives and teaches in Shuri. I have not met him, though he has been in the US many times over the years. He is about 82 now, and I suspect he will not make another trip to the US, so I may have to travel to Okinawa if I want to meet him.

I was curious, who is your current grandmaster for Kobayashi Shorin-ryu? We have in our school's history notes Miyahara and Nagazato, but I suspect this may not be valid, and I am trying to make some updates.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 2 weeks later...

There are 17 for 12kyu-5th Dan. We study alot of weapons and have many different kata for each. I would have to pull the manual and count to have the exact number for those.

Eventhough we have a required, 17, we will often practice others, just for fun.

I was curious, who is your current grandmaster for Kobayashi Shorin-ryu? We have in our school's history notes Miyahara and Nagazato, but I suspect this may not be valid, and I am trying to make some updates.

Miyahira is the former head of style. He stepped down(last year? early this year?) and was replaced by Ishikawa(sp....I'll reference it somtime).

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

We have the 12 GoJu kata plus 3 beginner's kata

(taichioku jodan, chudan, gedan)

For us, it is 8:

Heians 1-5

Tekki Shodan

Bassai-Dai & Jion

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu