• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

annoying sayings and questions in the martial arts!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone asks me to show them a move, I usually respond with, "OK, first grab me by the shirt."

That usually stops them, because they wanted to SEE a demonstration, not BE the demonstration. :lol:

If they actually do grab my shirt, I just reach up and put a small amount of pressure on a pressure point on the forearm and leave it at that.

oh here's one i got today:

A friend of mine said to me today, some weeks after I told him about my SHOTOKAN karate training:

"Do you still do kung fu?"

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

A friend of mine said to me today, some weeks after I told him about my SHOTOKAN karate training:

I would have replied yes. (Knowing what he had excelled in, say mechanics, for example,) I would have told him, I see he still does Kung Fu also.

I sometimes get "can you show me something?" It can be a bit irksome, but I will often oblige with a simple and novel hold or escape.

A bit further along the annoyance scale is "does that stuff actually work?"

What I find particularly obnoxious is "Well, what would you do if I hit you?" My standard reply: "Bruise, probably."

Sometimes, though, showing off a little is just too tempting. One smug individual was convinced that if a man as large and powerful as himself tried to hit me, there was nothing that could be done about it. I suggested that he try, promising that I would only block, and not hit him back. Not realizing what a "block" from a kenpoist entailed, he agreed. He declined the opportunity for a second swing. :)

I would have replied yes. (Knowing what he had excelled in, say mechanics, for example,) I would have told him, I see he still does Kung Fu also.

Ha :P

as for showing people some moves, I'll probably get that question from my relatives when I go to see them over christmas. I actually expect that question because as far as i know I am the only one doing martial arts. (my little cousin did taekwondo for a little while but she never stayed in it cause she said she found it boring. but she's only 8. MA is a way of life and quite philosophical, I really didn't expect an 8 year old to totally 'get' it.)

I'll probably , just to satisfy them (and shut them up), show them a jodan age uke or a chudan uchi uke. Those are just arm blocks. Then tell them know though, the biggest lesson you learn in MA is to WALK AWAY. and NEVER get easily drawn into any fights. It is not the fancy dancy moves. so stop asking me =]

I'd actually be afraid if I let people who don't understand what ma is really about, know any kicks or punches or anything, they'd actually try it on someone! Thats why I'd only show a block or 2. (white belt moves, yes, cause Im a little one but they wouldn't care.)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.