• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how often do you go to class?

End

Yeah, certain days are specifically for Kihon/Kata while others are for Kubudo and Kumite. It's seems pretty well organized. Although I'm not training in all these classes yet it's nice to know that once I do that many options exist. :)

I really like the specialized class set-up. It really allows you to focus your time on various aspects of the art, and tailor your training to the way you like it. Very nice for you, indeed!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you bushido-man96, I couldn't agree more. I have seen the exact opposite done as well. For example, try and cram warm up, kihon, kata, kumite and even weapons all in one class. It's a little much IMO but this is the way I have seen it done before. I feel very fortunate to have aligned myself with a dojo that does not put students on the "fast track" so to speak. This specialized schedule is ideal for a more well rounded development and greater understanding of applications as well. So to try and stick to the original question, one may strive to make every possible class one can in addition to home based practice. :wink:

"Without Ki, without Kime, there is no true Karate"

I run class at my school from 6-9:30 on Thursdays.

On Friday I drive up to my instructor's place (2.5 hours one way...) and work out from 7-10

On Saturday morning I go to Kobudo class here in wilmington from 11-12:30, then go teach a kobudo class from 2-3:30.

Then I have class from 4-7:30.

Sunday-Wednesday I work out on my own mostly. About once a month I go to a Shitoryu class from 8-9:30 on Tuesdays.

We basically have four sessions a week and i tend to attend two or three, it's difficult cos i have to get a babysitter for my little boy, i would train all four if i could!

Mondays is basics and Kata. Wednesdays is kata, bunkai and self defence. Fridays combination work, kumite and some kata and on sundays is kata and kumite.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I go 2 maybe 3 times a week depending on the money and how i feel. but u should ask your sensei how offen you should train because in the karate style i do you have to do 12 classes and about 8weeks atleast between class 1 and grading. I suppose it depends on ur style.

• 3 months later...

I usually go twice a week unless something happens. Once I get money, I'll probably end up going 4-perhaps even 6 times a week. But I'd be going to two or three different schools.

i plan on going once a week because i can only aford to go once.

Sometimes you'll find that the students who are dedicated and go as often as they can will get lucky. Instructors like teaching students who are eager to learn and show up even when it's hard. If you can only afford once/week they may let you go more often.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Wow, that's a lot. Good for you. I can only "justify" twice/week. I lift weights one or two days at home.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.