• advertisement_alt

Slow, but powerful strategy for martial arts fights

Was this strategy useful for you?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Was this strategy useful for you?

• Very useful
    • Useful
    • Useless

Usually, slow moves and strategy are useless in martial arts due to the pace that fights move at. Not this one. This for all you people out there who cant quite grasp the speed factor in martial arts.

Mainly when fighting in martial arts, many people focus more on power and speed (PS) rather than strategy and technique (ST). Those who are the PS type generally dont have a plan for battle other than attack, attack, and more attack. The ST type focus on precision and effectiveness of attacks. Just because a strong move hits, if it is not executed correctly, it could have almost no effect. Slow and steady wins the race.

The strategy is mainly dodging and looking for perfect opportunities to strike rather than possible chances, as well as using every you chance get after blocking to execute a counter. Sounds simple, huh? Wrong. Being able to read an opponents move is heavily incorporated in this strategy. Also, just because you see a move coming, unless you know how to dodge or block it, you may as well be standing in one place offering a free shot. You need to put as much effort possible into dodging into the first 45 secs and learning their fighting type. Are they an PS type or are they a ST type.

Against PS types, dodging and blocking are what you should focus on because of the highly unlikely chance for a counter. Dodge and block while looking for the perfect opportunity of attack. Against ST types, you should focus on counters rather than look for opportunities to attack since the chance for precision attacks will not usually be available. If you stick to this strategy, you should be fine in all of your fights.

Good Luck, and I hope my strategy works for you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

45 seconds of doing nothing? If it is a real fight, you'd be beaten to a pulp and if it's a competition, you'd be beaten on points.

My friend, fighting is not like a computer game and there are no sure win strategies. You just do what you need to do when you see you can do it. And who says the other guy can't be another combination of things? Unskilled, high pain tolerance and built a brick outhouse? Fast, strong, skilled and accurate?

what do i know, i'm an idiot.

you know...this isn't that bad of an idea...

but when you go into a fight, there should be no strategy. No thought. No, "I'll do this, then this..."maybe this is a good idea to train though.

Edited by Yasutsune Makoto

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

i dunno. Thats putting to many unknown variables into it. And hoping then play out. You can predict all the time how someone is going to take a hit. You never know. I might kick the one person in the world, in the groin, thats wearing a metal spiked cup, and rip apart my foot. You just dont know...

The theory is sound. I wouldn't actually take 45 seconds to just learn an opponents style though. One it would wear you out. two, a lot happens in that time. I have often heard that most fights are over in the first 10 seconds. Besides, you can learn a lot just by how someone sets up and that gives you a solid starting point on what to expect. Not to mention, if you get an opening early on, well before 45 seconds, why would you pass it up?

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

I dont think the different types of fighter are St as u refered to and speed wat about ppl who are a combo of both and basically the reason of training is to work strategy into you body to do it at speed there are many different types of fighters wat about a boxer who trained to take damage and dish it back out or the grappeler who with take u to the ground, or a muy thai who are basically an all around striker or even a person who's stlye u cant read at all

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

• 2 weeks later...

The strategy is sound, but there are other possibilities as well. Recognizing another fighter's style is one thing...knowing your own is another. You can't be an effective counter fighter if you never do it. Just because someone is PS, and you realize they are, doesn't mean you can counter everything they have. You have to know your strengths, and make your opponent play into them.

Then, when you find their weakness(es), you adapt your strengths to take advantage of them.

Also, I don't think that the style you describe is necessarily slow. It more like a "calculating" style than a slow style.

um some of ur strategy seems 2 have some flaws in it. for example some people who fight may not be specifcly those 2 types of fighters, i know that i myself am a blend of power and technique ( PT). and there can also be fighters who use only brute strength, or alot of speedy hits but nothing behind it ( PP or SS)

it all depends own the fighter in question. not only that but when u were talking about how to fight against a PS type fighter u said focus, own blocking and dodging but not counter. if where to focus own blocking and dodgeing, but cant even counter than when are u suppose to strike ?

Your strateiges do have some good knowledge and fact behind them, and it is obvious u put alot of thought into this but, those 2 strategies could never work in ALL combat situations, because there is no one or two strategies, that will work for all situations. 8)

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

• 2 weeks later...
Usually, slow moves and strategy are useless in martial arts due to the pace that fights move at. Not this one. This for all you people out there who cant quite grasp the speed factor in martial arts.

Mainly when fighting in martial arts, many people focus more on power and speed (PS) rather than strategy and technique (ST).

who are these "many"? how many are there? where did you get this statistic?

Those who are the PS type generally dont have a plan for battle other than attack, attack, and more attack. The ST type focus on precision and effectiveness of attacks.

same question - where are you getting these statistics? how many ring fights have you had? how many streetfights? how old are you?

Just because a strong move hits, if it is not executed correctly, it could have almost no effect.

There is a shred of truth here, but I can guarantee you, as a person who benches 300 and squats 415 that when I hit you, it hurts. execution is part of training. If you are training correctly, despite what your focus is, you know how to execute a technique.

Slow and steady wins the race.

but we're not racing, we're fighting. Theoretically, slow and steady can win, but there is not even an opportunity for that to happen unless you've had so many fights that the adrenaline dump is easily controlled and fighting is a commonplace thing to you.

The strategy is mainly dodging and looking for perfect opportunities to strike rather than possible chances, as well as using every you chance get after blocking to execute a counter.

simply waiting around for the "perfect opportunity" will get you killed.

Sounds simple, huh? Wrong. Being able to read an opponents move is heavily incorporated in this strategy. Also, just because you see a move coming, unless you know how to dodge or block it, you may as well be standing in one place offering a free shot.

anyone who trains knows how to evade or block, parry, etc. the deciding factor is experience.

You need to put as much effort possible into dodging into the first 45 secs and learning their fighting type. Are they an PS type or are they a ST type.

are you talking about a streetfight??? This sounds like something I saw on hajime no ippo...