• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought gi pants were always worn underneath? No?

Not always not all systems allow it such as iaido.

Ok guys, whats a hakama? Lol

Kez xx

Its a traditional split pant worn by the japanese for formal events. However it is common to see in the practice of all sword arts and Aikido, some styles Ju Jutsu, aiki ju jutsu, sometimes in kobudo

Yes, just ask your instructor. I was also wondering how everyone cleans their hakama. I had mine cleaned, and I swear it shrunk in length.

Dry clean only. Make sure to remove the black plate first though as teh solutions can damage it in cleaning.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Thanks for the cleaning advice. We have a black belt testing coming up soon, and I will have mine dry cleaned this time.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

That was going to be my next question, thanks.

Training went well, but now (of course) the hakama is dirty...and besides needing to clean it, I have to figure out how to fold it properly. I have pictures and diagrams, but I cannot get it to work for the life of me. Ah well. It'll come eventually....

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I do not think a thing like this is appropriate for a sparring match!

That seems a little narrow minded.

First of all, these are worn for TRADITION and RESPECT. They are not designed to be the most practical attire.

Secondly, in a way, they are a fantastic thing to train in. The way in which they move is similar to a dress or baggy pants. No point learning how to fight in nice comfortable thai shorts or gi pants if on the street you always wear a dress or baggy pants.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I've come to the conclusion that I need mine hemmed. They're fun to move in, except for the first half hour/hour, everytime I had to sit down, stand up, or something like that, I would managed to slip on the material and fall down, get my toes caught and fall down, or be standing up, have material get caught (again...) and end up almost face flat on the ground.

I think it means they're just too long...I suppose it could mean, though, that I'm incredibly clumsy.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

They're longer than that. They're long enough that even if I lock my knees out and stand straight up they're just about brushing the floor.