• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt width of 1 3/4" or 2"?

1 3/4 is what I use, but two inchers can look cooler if worn with a heavyweight uniform...

BTW, does Eosin-Panther sell plain belts? I have one thats embroidered and one that's plain, but my plain one is kind of flimsy...

I believe they do sell plain belts, you just have to look at what you want, and I believe they price them for embroidery and plain :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 3/4 is what I use, but two inchers can look cooler if worn with a heavyweight uniform...

BTW, does Eosin-Panther sell plain belts? I have one thats embroidered and one that's plain, but my plain one is kind of flimsy...

I believe they do sell plain belts, you just have to look at what you want, and I believe they price them for embroidery and plain :brow:

I think you're right, sir.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

1 3/4 belt is better.

2" just looks like you're drawing attention to yourself saying "Look at me and my giant belt!"

Also, you'll have permanent helicopter syndrome with a 2". It never hangs down, it always points straight out to the sides no matter how hard you pull it. A guy from my old club got an extra wide belt from tokaido and 6 years on it's still sticking out sideways.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

A guy from my old club got an extra wide belt from tokaido and 6 years on it's still sticking out sideways.

...and Tokaido's "Extra Wide" is 1 3/4" wide.

Interesting phenomenon, though. I've never had problems with having a belt to hang down properly. Pretty much every belt settles with the first wash. Of course, if one is in the "never wash the belt" -club, he could moisten only the knot area.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• 1 month later...
A guy from my old club got an extra wide belt from tokaido and 6 years on it's still sticking out sideways.

...and Tokaido's "Extra Wide" is 1 3/4" wide.

Interesting phenomenon, though. I've never had problems with having a belt to hang down properly. Pretty much every belt settles with the first wash. Of course, if one is in the "never wash the belt" -club, he could moisten only the knot area.

I have a 2" Eosin Panther belt (2 in fact) that are "soft" & they don't stick out sideways. They hang down properly. I think it might just be the matter of of hard or stiff vs. soft style belts. I've never washed mine, BTW.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Definately go the 1 3/4

They look better and are more practical.

1 3/4 will also hold 2 lines of embroidery. I know that was a concern w/ the original questioner. Either 2" or 1 3/4" go with a quality belt like Tokido (sp?) or Eosin Panther. They're worth the $$.

I agree, a two inch belt that's worn in looks fine with a heavyweight gi. With a lighter gi, it just doesn't look right, especially if the belt is stiff.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu