Belt width of 1 3/4" or 2"?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the 2 inch belts. They are stiffer and somewhat harder to tie. Mostly I just think they look a bit tacky.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

I agree with danbong. 2" belts just make it harder to get a good knot. Go with the 1 3/4" belt imho.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I had a 2" belt. At first it was indeed difficult to tie but a few years later as it "softened" it is fine. I remember initially I was struggling trying to skoosh the knot so it would work nice.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Playing the devil's advocate here, I personally prefer the 2" belt, if you get a good belt i.e.: Tokaido, Shuriedo, etc. You will have a "break in" period, but they are well worth it, especially if you are in a style that doesn't change belts for every rank.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Playing the devil's advocate here, I personally prefer the 2" belt, if you get a good belt i.e.: Tokaido, Shuriedo, etc. You will have a "break in" period, but they are well worth it, especially if you are in a style that doesn't change belts for every rank.

Tokaido and Shureido (etc.) have a 1 3/4" wide belt as their default "wide" belt. Their "normal" belt is 1 1/2". You would get a 2" one only from a special order (and even still it'd be unsure if they'd be willing to make it for you).

So, if you have a Tokaido "XW" belt (extra wide) or Shureido "BST" (black special thick), they're both 1 3/4" wide, not 2" wide.

So, get a 1 3/4" wide. 2" wide is just tacky.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I agree that if you get a 2" belt, you should get a good quality belt. I like Eosin-Panther's "soft" belts. They are easier tie & look great!

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

1 3/4 is what I use, but two inchers can look cooler if worn with a heavyweight uniform...

BTW, does Eosin-Panther sell plain belts? I have one thats embroidered and one that's plain, but my plain one is kind of flimsy...

Cho Dan Hapkidoist and trickster.