• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, another 'Belt' thread...

Protagonist

I really dislike doubting my Sensei, but I just can't help feeling that I shouldn't be an orange-belt at this time; I feel that I should at least be a high yellow belt instead.

To explain the situation, I started Shorin Kempo Karate in January as a class in my freshmen year in highschool, my last class was on May 24th where I received my orange-belt. I feel that the transition between belts happened pretty fast, and I was wondering if four months is the normal amount of time to rank from a white-belt to an orange-belt.

Thanks for your responses.

-Protagonist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An average time between grades is about 4 months, then 6 months for brown belt levels. It really depends on the individual though and can be shorter of longer than the normal time depending on their ability.

Yellow and orange belt are very junior grades and it's quite common to see someone go through them fairly quickly as they are just basic grades.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

In our dojo there isn't a "normal" interval between gradings. When you're ready, you grade. For example, I hope to get Brown (3rd Kyu) in the autumn this year, by which time I will have been training 3 years. However, I will have been a blue belt for a year. That's because, even though I know all the Kihon and Kata requirements, I need to work on one particular aspect of my technique and improve it before I can grade. It's different for different people and different age groups.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

The belt is meaningless. It's just a way for your instructor to gauge your level of knowledge in your art. If you have it...you earned it. Trust your Sensei. You have not been training nearly long enough to decide who is ready for anything. I don't mean that to be offensive...just truthful.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You should bring your concerns to your sensei. Having an up front chat about this will bring understanding. Do not be afraid to speak to your sensei about anything.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I agree with ps1. If your instructor believes you have the knowledge and skill to attain an orange belt, then just accept it and move on.

Maybe you show potential and your instructor sees this and would like to reward you for your effort and time.

In our dojo there isn't a "normal" interval between gradings. When you're ready, you grade.

I absolutely agree with you there Fish, but surely there's an average time span that most people achieve their grades within. Wouldn't that be the "normal" interval?

The majority of students like to have a goal to aim towards and a timeframe to work within. If every instructor out there only told his students that there was no average time to get to a belt there'd be a lot of disheartened people out there.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

I really dislike doubting my Sensei, but I just can't help feeling that I shouldn't be an orange-belt at this time; I feel that I should at least be a high yellow belt instead.

It's quite normal to feel that post-grading. Was the grading fairly easy (physically and mentally) or was it hard? If you had trained hard preparing for it then it's possible you were very ready for it and didn't neccesarily feel that pushed on the day. It's highly likely that even though you might not feel you earned it, your sensei has seen something in you that made you worthy of the belt.

Now you're there just concentrate on being the best orange belt in the dojo. That should get you feeling better about yourself.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate