• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Athleticism over Practicality

cathal

I was chatting with a fellow martial artist today regarding kata. He mentioned he felt that most kata's changes over the years seem to favour athleticism over practicality of the techniques.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on this topic. Consider the kata you know...the changes which have been made...and how you feel about them.

What do you think?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...We do kata the same way they do it in Okinawa(We visit them every few years, every few years they visit us). Kata should not be modded to achieve greater athletic results. Someone that want's more exercise should invest in a wieght set.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Hmmm...We do kata the same way they do it in Okinawa(We visit them every few years, every few years they visit us). Kata should not be modded to achieve greater athletic results. Someone that want's more exercise should invest in a wieght set.

That's one way to look at it.

I don't think this way, but some people feel that the kata should be updated for the times. In "Karate-do: My Way of Life" Funakoshi Sensei said that that's the way it should be.

Myself, I like doing the katas old school.

Although there are some changes that appear to have been made for increasing the artistic side, or the athleticism of the kata, are these changes less practical?

I don't know, but I think that as with most things in karate it depends on your individual perspective towards your training. All moves teach us something, and kata is the best way to assess our understanding of our own martial art. So I'd say it's an attitude thing.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

he felt that most kata's changes over the years seem to favour athleticism over practicality of the techniques.

I feel the same way. After reading Shotokan's Secrets, I feel a lot of the techniques no longer are properly trained.

However, I feel that the people who changed the techniques did so for a reason: they are extremely dangerous and can be deadly. You wouldn't want to teach this to children.

The original purpose of kata is not the same as it is now.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I am not sure if I agree, to be honest. I've gone over many of the kata both physically and mentally after that conversation. In remembering the bunkai there are some techniques which can cause some contention when it comes to applying a technique, but I don't feel that any of the techniques are impractical.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I don't feel the techniques are impractical, I just feel the technique is different now; we don't need the techniques for the same purpose.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Here's the problem. Kata is taught differently at almost any school. I'm sure some use it more as exercise while others remain true to it's original study. I don't really think that a blanket statement could be made about any martial art in any aspect.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Now this is an interesting question, considering i have recently seen seen a few of those I.S.K.A Forms Tournaments held in the USA i think on ESPN which gives the competitiors the chance to do their Kata/Forms and or Weapons Forms to music whilst in their martial arts attire.

What can be said about them? hhhmmm

To me it is like ripping tradition away and showcasing, demonstrating, advertising, marketing the martial arts as a gymnastical dance with no real interpretation of spirit other that seeing who can scream the loudest or longest.

I sit and am very amused at the sight of the competitors jumping around and doing spins, summersaults, twists and turns and some of them even have weapons as i think "what has this got to do with martial arts?"

The music is blaring and the whole event is based around this weird entertainment being displayed by all ages alike.

Now i have nothing against what i have described to you, exceopt the fact that its advertised and marketed on TV / Cable as Martial Arts.

Sorry as its soooo far from this that its not funny.

Now lets quickly talk about the "Breaking I.S.K.A Championships where all the crazy looking dudes go onstage and do the breaks to music.

Its like The Dukes of Hazard meets WFW... enough said!