• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I recieved a great honor tonight

I have studied the internal arts (Yang Style Tai Chi) for 3 years now. I have also started to pick up a little bit of Bagua along the way.

While I am not in Dallas training at my dojo, (summer break) I have been working out with a 4th degree black belt friend of mine who owns his own school. He teaches a hard style that is a mixture of several different Japanese martial arts that was started by Grandmaster Henry Williams in Jax, FL. His system is called KOTANA Karate. I really enjoy taking this hard style and I have started to work towards my black belt in this art.

Last night at class, the Renshi (junior master) called me before the class and presented me with a belt that was made by the founder of the art. It is nothing more than a white belt and a black belt which has been cut in half and then sewn back together by the grandmaster and founder of the art. He then called me by my new title (Kujeki) [that might not be the correct pronunciation or spelling] and promoted me to the rank of assistant instructor. I was given this honor because of my time and rank in my internal art and because the crossover for me to learn a hard style will be much easier than a person who is taking MA for the first time. I wasn't expecting this and am very grateful to my friend for this honor. He said it should take about 18-24 months to get my black belt in this style and when I get it, I will just turn the belt over to the black side. This also allows him to teach me any technique he wants to from white belt up to black belt as opposed to being taught what is just in one's belt. I wanted to tell all of you publicly and to thank him for his kindness and confidence in me. I want the black belt so bad I can taste it. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congratulations, this is a great sign of consideration. Keep us informed.

Congratulations. what a great honor :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

That's a good story. Thanks for sharing it.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

My official title is Kalejekai. (I still don't know if I spelled it correctly). I had fun sparring with the kids tonight. Even though they are cute, they can still pack a walop of a punch. I t was fun to watch and even do a little bit. (After class, the other 2 black belts and I hung around and did some drill work. Now THAT was cool.) later.

So do you teach Tai Chi as well?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I am an instructors assistant at the Tai Chi school I attend. I usually get to teach the basics. (ie. stepping and the first several movements of the form) I am now working on the sword form and the Yang long form. (103 mvmts.)

• 2 weeks later...