• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jion

Shotokan-kez

Wow, you get to choose your kata for grading? We had to do all of them and sometimes more than once if our instructor was not impressed. I was very tired afterward :lol: As for jion, I have been working it for 6 months. I am just now starting to feel more comfortable with it.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you get to choose your kata for grading?
Theoretically. :brow: Only it didn't help as I had to a whole heap more anyway. :lol:

But I notice that you are a nidan and you say that you have only been working on Jion for 6 months. Jion is a choice for Shodan but we must know it by our Nidan grading, same as Kanku Dai, Empi and Hangetsu.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Angela, kata requirements vary at all dojo's. For my nidan testing I needed all previous kata and Kanku Dai, Bassai Sho, Empi, and Tekki Sandan. I have since learned new kata including jion at this level. It is cool to see how each school really does vary.

Angela, kata requirements vary at all dojo's.

I know. But most shotokan dojo do tend to have a similar syllabus.

I agree with you to an extent. But across organizations (AKJU to JKA for example) it's almost two different styles, let alone having the same syllabus.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

Angela, kata requirements vary at all dojo's.

I know. But most shotokan dojo do tend to have a similar syllabus.

I agree with you to an extent. But across organizations (AKJU to JKA for example) it's almost two different styles, let alone having the same syllabus.

Hmmm, perhaps there is a greater standardisation in the UK. Probably because the smaller population means there is less room for variation.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

We are not governed by an outside organization. We are our own school. We do what our instructors have been taught by their instructors and same as even their instructors before. Too much politics in JKA. I like that my instructor can run his school as he sees fit.