• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jion

Shotokan-kez

The more I do Jion yhe more I like it. :)

Its one of those kata that feel right for me. The power, the bunkai it works for me. It is one of those kata if performed properly, looks like it is really gonna hurt something. :brow:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those last few moves took me a little while to get the hang of. I was always doing it way too fast.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Those last few moves took me a little while to get the hang of. I was always doing it way too fast.

Remember, in application the movement is not really slow.

Could be a lot of different things... grab arm with left hand and stretch across opponent with right is a good elbow hyperextension shoulder dislocation takedown or grab on and dig that noogie into the opponents eye, ear, neck, under arm, or in the baby back ribs. :brow:

In the kata however, I usually do the last movement in 5-6 seconds to full extension.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I do the movement in that timeframe as well. The bunkai I've always liked to do in this kata. There are a few applications there that are very interesting. You can have a lot of fun with it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I never really enjoyed Jion, but I had a champion team kata team using this kata.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 1 month later...
I love Jion. My teacher also taught me it's ancient cousin, Ji'in. I love them both.

I love both Jion and Jiin. Based on nothing in particular I sometimes think that Jiin and Jutte were once one kata. I learned the Shito Ryu version of Jiin and practiced it because I heard that it was a "forgotten" kata and since it is such a nice kata I wanted to make sure that someone remembered it.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I haven't tried Ji'in yet. Working on unsu at the moment. Jion and bassai dai being my favourite. The kat's at this point seem to be getting harder and harder. I love kata though so i am prepared to put 100% in and get past those difficult parts.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

jion was the last kata i learnt, and i havn't practiced it much compared to the other kata i know. its got that feel to it though. some katas you just know when you do them the first few times that they're gonna stick with you for a long time. i'm practicing it more now, i mainly just do jion, jitte and enpi these days.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana