• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jion

Shotokan-kez

Wow, what a kata....i love it. I already knew bits of it. Our class was small tonight so sensei worked with me for the full hour plainly on Jion. I know the kata now but it's going to take a very long time to perfect it. Just thought i would share this with everyone...i love learning new kata's. What do you guys think of this kata?

Kez :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy Jion too. I was not taught the Shotokan version although we did compare it to ours at one time way back. The version I as taught, although slightly different more closely resembles the Shito Ryu's version. It was my favorite kata for many years. I learned Jion and Ura Jion (which is a bunkai version of the kata).

Enjoy it! It's fun

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I never liked Jion personally.

I learned Wansu at the same belt level, and always prefered wansu.

(I learned in Wado-Kai, but the katas were more like the Shito-Ryu versions)

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

I enjoy Jion. It is a very strong kata and it has a lot of different applications.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Wow, this is weird. I graded for my purple belt last Sunday, and I too know Jion already, but still need to practice it many times to begin to perfect it. I like the kata; it's pretty challenging.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Well done on your purple belt grading june. Jion is very challenging i always get stuck on that bit in the middle where you have to squat down then put your arms back to the sides, i have to keep watching the video to remind me. Jion has some implications in it that remind me of Jitte.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Well done on your purple belt grading june. Jion is very challenging i always get stuck on that bit in the middle where you have to squat down then put your arms back to the sides, i have to keep watching the video to remind me. Jion has some implications in it that remind me of Jitte.

Have you done the bunkai yet? I find a kata sticks with me much better after I do it a few times.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I'm currently re-learning Jion as I haven't done it in years and had forgotten most of it. I'm pretty solid on most of it now, just the last few moves I keep forgetting. Practice! practice! practice!

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate