• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i'd actually say karate is mostly grappling in its old forms. all real combat styles are mainly about grappling.

but modern karate-do as it is practiced in most schools is for all intents and purposes a striking art.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd actually say karate is mostly grappling in its old forms. all real combat styles are mainly about grappling.

but modern karate-do as it is practiced in most schools is for all intents and purposes a striking art.

I don't know about that. I think that it was probably jiu-jitsu for the most part early on, when it was taught to the samurai as unarmed combat techniques. Later on, when these techniques were not as necessary for combat (advent of the firearm), they started to become more like karate.

Just my theory, though.

I wouldnt say it's mostly grappling, but I would agree with some other posters that traditional karate contains a great deal of grappling applications (Sport karate ussually does not, though, or does not emphasize them). MANY of these grappling applications are right there in the kata. For example, sequences of 2-3 three blocks can be very effectively thought of as one block and subsequent locks and or limb control moves. Most moves done from a kiba-dachi (horse riders' stance) are very effective clinch, throw, and takedown avoidance techniques. The strong hip rotations used in Shotokan and other styles can send an opponent flying through the air if they are sued in a throw! And so on.

If you find a traditional instructor that emphasizes kata and bunkai and you study hard, you can be a good grappler, I assure you. It all depends on the school/instructor, though. If you feel you are not getting good applications on the karate you are learning, find another school.

I train in traditional shotokan and I am REALLY good at avoiding takedowns (i have friends who wrestle and do judo who have found this out after challenging me to stay on my feet against them) and it comes from karate. I have also been known to throw them off their feet, to their surprise! Of course, it shouldnt be a surprise: it is well known that Gichin Funakoshi (Shotokan's founder) was friends and collaborator with Gigoro Cano (Judo's) and that they learned from each other. Similar collaborations happened with other masters and style founders. And so on. Traditional Karate is actually a mixed-martial-art!

two cents,

gero

--------

nidan, Traditional Shotokan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Shotokan: Pros..kicking and striking, standup sparring, footwork, forms and self-defense applications.

Judo: Pros..takedowns and throwing, ground game, chokes, locks, submissions.

Yes that is a good explanation. but a mixture would be better :)

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

• 2 weeks later...

The differences are obvious:

Karate lacks grappling, plain and simple.

Judo lacks striking, plain and simple.

Many people feel that when you explain the shortcomings of a style, they have to defend said style, especially if is the primary style they train in.

Lots of people will tell you that "true" karate teaches grappling, or that "true" Judo teaches striking.

I've seen what karateka have called grappling, and I've seen what Judoka have called striking. If you want to draw an analogy, karates grappling is about as good as Judo's striking (and vice versa), which is not very good at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Karate Pros: Striking, Kata, Bonkai, Throws

Karate Cons: Grappling

Judo Pros: Grappling, Wrestling, Throws

Judo Cons: Striking, reliance on gi

Hey now! Gis are quite fashionable :D

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Shotokan: Pros..kicking and striking, standup sparring, footwork, forms and self-defense applications.

Judo: Pros..takedowns and throwing, ground game, chokes, locks, submissions.

Yes that is a good explanation. but a mixture would be better :)

I don't doubt that. However, the original poster merely asked for the pros and cons for each; that is what I listed.