• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A typical diet & ketosis/insulin balance.

Bon

There's been a big push by the governments and food manufacturers for low fat, high carb diets.. Lots of carbs in the diet with little protein & fat is why most people are fat, stay fat & get fatter.. They become insulin resistant, also known as the X factor, I think. People go on slimming diets drastically cutting calories and eating three meals a day, which is the wrong thing to do. When they do lose weight, they generally lose muscle, not fat. Once these diets are stopped, the weight increases again, this time as fat and not muscle. They go on a slimming diet again and find it harder to lose weight.. It seems to be a pretty continous cycle.. I look at a lot of girls who are obssessed with being a size 8/10 and notice they're slim, but there's a lot of fat and not really any muscle..

I'm trying to achieve ketosis, I'm cutting carbs down to less than 20g a day to shed 5-10kg of body fat & body fat only. I have felt a little light headed and tired, but I'm only in my second day so far. After I lose the weight(hopefully), my diet is going to be 'insulin balance' so I can maintain my weight and don't become insulin resistant again. Insulin balance is supposed to be ideal for women with a body fat percentage under 33% & men with a body fat percentage under 22%. Mine is 13%, but I want to get it down to 6-8% or so quickly.. =p

My question is, for a person who is very heavily active, training 6-7 days a week. Is a high carb & high protein diet still unhealthy compared to the average sedentary person ? Or are they better off on a diet like ketosis or insulin balance where they burn body fat for fuel ? I've started stepping up my training towards hardcore lately, I'm in danger of overtraining and I'm wondering which diet is the best once I get a toned figure.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeap, the book is in my house but I haven't read it. I'm on one by Leslie Kenton who is supposed to be the 'guru of health & fitness'.. I guess we'll soon see.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Good luck Bon, I did something very similar to what you are doing. I lost about 25 lbs, around 11 kg. I finally see my stomach muscles. It is also great for building muscle while losing fat, especially if your protein intake is good. Combined with regular training to take advantage of your newfound metabolism, this is a great way to go. Good luck!

Dave :cool:

Singularity, how long did it take you to lose 25 lbs ? Are you still on a low carb diet now, or have you gone back to a high carb diet along with high protein ?

I'm interested in this question, too. Just generally speaking, what do you all eat to keep yourself in top form?

I, too, would like to see those burgeoning stomach muscles and what-not. :smile:

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

I'm in my third day on the diet and I don't have much energy.. Last night at BJJ I felt like absolute ****.. When we sparred, I found it very tiring. I'll give it a couple of weeks and if I still feel like this, I'm going back to a high carb/high protein diet.

I didn't fully explain what I did or how long it took me to lose weight. At first, I only cut out some obviously bad carbs, soda, fast foods, stuff like that. Then once I was used to that, I started actually cutting down on carbs in general. I try to only eat 1 gram of carbs per pound of body weight. However, I have never tried nor will I ever try to go into ketosis, I wanted to do it in moderation. I am still on the diet now, I am a lot healthier, I have more energy, and my metabolism is higher because I have been training along with it. I actually lost about 30 lbs in about 3 months. Then I started eating more protein, still not changing carb intake, and gained about 10 lbs of muscle. I tried to never go to extremes, I just ate in moderation. The pounds flew off because of this.

Dave :cool:

Thanks for the advice. I'm all for moderation, and I have decent self-control, so I'll start with pop (well, sugary drinks in general), fast food, etc. What healthy sources of protein would you suggest, especially non-meat? Most of the meat in our cafeteria is very high-fat, very greasy, etc.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won