• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Glutamine-UPDATE

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Glutamine is the most common free amino acid in the bloodstream, and it is non-essential, which means your body can create what it needs. It has many purported benefits as a supplement, from greater intestinal function to enhanced muscle hypertrophy (growth). Most resources I have read suggest that its efficacy is still undetermined, though, so I would probably save my money and instead buy a good quality whey protein supplement. Unless you're a juiced up competitive bodybuilder, you'd likely not notice much difference anyway.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Already use whey (very satisfied, too). It seems some people swear by glutamine as something as necessary as protein for an athelete. Others say it's useless. I wish Aodan would stop by...

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

i use branched chain amino acids (BCAA) i hear those are very good, and give you a lot of energy. check those out.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

Already use whey (very satisfied, too). It seems some people swear by glutamine as something as necessary as protein for an athelete. Others say it's useless. I wish Aodan would stop by...

Ok, I stopped by. :D

Seriously, Sohan already covered it. You can take it, but most likely you'll just be excreting it or storing it, instead of using it.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

It's good to have before/after strenuous exercise because your body uses it during said times. Until it has enough again, it breaks down your muscle to get it. BCAA's are also great, and work best when you have enough EAA's at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, GNC had a sale and I was able to get 2lbs of Mega Whey (which has glutamine in it) for the same price as regular whey protein. I decided to give it a shot.

That was about a week ago. Since then, I have been working out hardcore, probably borderline overtraining. But I feel great! I biked 10 miles (fast) and had no soreness in my quads the next day. Bear in mind that I haven't biked since last year so my muscles were not prepared for this. Also, my strength workouts have been intense, but still, no or very little soreness.

I can't say for sure that it's the glutamine, but I think it is helping. A week isn't a long enough experiment, so I'll post again here in another week or so.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Sounds great. But keep in mind the power of the placebo effect. It's quite possible the benefits you are experiencing could be merely psychologically driven--though that's not necessarily a bad thing. :)

It is more likely a result of you being in positive nitrogen balance because of your increased protein intake.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu