• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ushiro-Geri

Shotokan-kez

Do you find this kick difficult? I hate it. It comes in a lot now on my gradings and i always lose my balance. I can see that this kick can be powerful and effective if executed properly, but i just find it so difficult.

Can anyone advise on how to perform this kick to it's full potential without losing balance and falling over lol.

Kez x :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1: Don't think that you're spinning. Just turn. If you spin, you lose the balance.

2: Kick as straight as possible. Force your knee go near the other knee, don't allow it to go further (it'd be spinning).

3: Lean enough. In most kicks, leaning is bad. In ushirogeri, it's necessary - you'll eventually wreck your back, if you try not to lean.

4: After kicking, don't spin straight around. Pull your leg back carefully, then turn, land your foot and that's it.

5: Try to do it naturally. Train the turning individually - and concentrate on turning, not spinning.

And: Before doing the turning version, learn to do a "straight back" -version from a relaxed stance.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

It'll come along - first, just concentrate on turning instead of spinning. The hip action is actually more about tilting than twisting (in ushirogeri). Proper leaning helps here.

Don't overrotate. A good ushirogeri is basically a "mule kick" - you kick to the direction of your back.

Later, you'll learn to use the turning etc., but first you'll have to get the basic form going.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

In our ushiro-geri we practice first as if kicking to the shins. That way once you learn the technique behind it you can start to raise your leg with more force behind it.

If you are stuggling doing the back kick without turning round and hence the kick turning into yoko-geri, try just moving your head round instead of your hips at the start. I struggled a lot with this kick, not the force just the fact i kept turning my foot and it ended up looking like yoko-geri

Karate Ni Sentinashi

We have set combinations we have to learn, and uhiro-geri does feature in a few. Do you do this Kez? We have to learn all the set combinations and we do them as part of our grading also

Karate Ni Sentinashi

To turn i just rotate my front leg 180 so that it is facing backwards and just let the rest of my body follow it around. Always keep your eyes where you want to kick as this helps maintain correct distancing and targeting

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.