• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Low Carb dieting and martial arts.

jairic

Alright, I need to drop weight so I can get into this stuff. I've low carb dieted before and it worked fabulously, i quit that and tried other diets, and i couldn't make those work. So if I go back on the low carb diet, I know i'll drop the weight, but will it be beneficial to my goal to be in shape for tae kwon do?(or whatever i end up doing)

Thanks for the help!

Jake

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you want to keep the weight off long-term, as an athlete low-carb is likely not the way to go. You need carbohydrate for energy and most low-carb diets just don't provide for sufficient glycogen replenishment. Watch your calories and keep your meals balanced, eating 4-5 small meals a day. Don't eat more frequently or you may actually stimulate your hunger--eating frequently is how many bodybuilders help themselves get used to eating larger quantities of food.

A true athlete's diet has sufficient fat, protein, and carbohydrate plus vitamins and minerals for good health. If you really need to lose bodyfat (not just weight), do it through eating correctly AND add some aerobic exercise and strength training.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Sohans right (of course!). You can do low-carb for quick fat loss but in the long run not good for serious athletes. I find that a 50/50 protein-carb intake works best for me but I think you have to play with it a bit to find the best balance for your metabolism and goals.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Alright, I need to drop weight so I can get into this stuff. I've low carb dieted before and it worked fabulously, i quit that and tried other diets, and i couldn't make those work. So if I go back on the low carb diet, I know i'll drop the weight, but will it be beneficial to my goal to be in shape for tae kwon do?(or whatever i end up doing)

Thanks for the help!

Jake

Diet is a four letter word for a reason. Any "diet" designed to cut weight will do so for the short term. There are very few diet books (South beach, adkins, grapefruit, etc) that can be used long term. Healthy eating works for everything. I personally do about 65% calories from carbs (Whole grain/brown rice type, not processed), 20% protein, 15% fat. Find out what works for you.

Almost anything will work for short term. The best thing to do is figure out how many calories you need for baseline + daily activity, and eat healthy foods to get that amount. To gain weight, eat an extra tuna sandwich or something every day. To lose weight, eat a bit less each day. 1-4 lbs a month is a safe, sustainable/permanent weight loss rate. To lose one pound, you need to burn ~3500 more calories than you take in. Over a week, that's 500 calories a day.

Everyone wants an "instant" weight loss solution. There are some, but most of that is water weight, very little fat. If you lose 3 lbs a month, in a year you'll lose 36 lbs. In the beginning you may take off more, but it will all even out. The first lbs are easy, the last lbs are hard :D

As far as "getting in shape to do TKD" or whatever art you choose, do it the other way around. Do X martial art to get in shape. I've found that people who say "Well, I'm going to do X, but I have to do Y first" don't really want to do Y, so they use not doing X as an excuse. Sit down and say "Here's my goal - Lose x lbs." Then mark it out. If you want to lose 20 lbs, shoot for 3 lbs a month. It's all about goal setting. Have your large goal, and lots of little mini goals that will help you get to the main goal.

Also, it's very hard to completely change your eating plan overnight. Take a few weeks to do it. Start one week, and say "I'm going to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals rather than 2 large ones". Even if it's still the junk food stuff, it's a different eating pattern. Then the next week, say "Ok, I'm adding a serving of veggies to my dinner, and cutting out the sauce on the chicken", then add fruit, then change breakfast, etc. In about a month, you'll have a decent start on a healthy eating plan (I don't like the word diet, even for a good one).

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Aodhan says it well.

There is no right answer for diets. Scientists keep coming up with new findings. A study a while back found that almost all diets worked when followed, but hardly anyone can follow them for long.

The amount of exercise & type of eating required to actually lose weight & keep it off requires a whole new way of living for most people, which is why so few people can take off weight AND keep it off.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi