• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hangetsu

cathal

After Eugue Ryu I may have to take up Shotokan again. By the way, is Nahainchi Shodan done the same in Shotokan as it is in most styles?

I would say it is very similar.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hangetsu is the vesion I learned however I would love to compare it to Seasan has P.A.L. mentioned. I am taking my kata back to its roots since I was taught the Pinan and Naihanchi Kata I have started practicing those and Passai and Kusanku versions of the katas.

Hangetsu is a great kata and I view it as a true study there is some good bunkai but it takes a study of the kata to realize it. Keep up the good work on it.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Thank you I will. :)

- Sun-tzu

Is Hangetsu the one where you have to jump and do a full turn in the air and land in shuto-uki?

Kez

That's Enpi kata.

Hangetsu is (for the most part) slow but very strong and powerful. A lot of people seem to get the timing wrong on this kata - and timing is a key factor when performing Hangetsu.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I've noticed that, I see a lot of different timings.

- Sun-tzu

I must admit I'm not too fond of Hangetsu, mainly because it really kills my ankles. I have chronic tension in my calfs so when I go into hangetsu dachi it pulls on them a lot. It is a good kata to learn though as it doesn't require the suppleness of youth to complete it.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

I'm not familiar with that type of condition. Does physio or certain types of exercising help?

- Sun-tzu

It's a great kata for development, I am sure you will get a lot out of it, but remember that leg, hand, and breathing should all be synchronized. I think that's the most beautiful, and the hardest, part of the kata. Good Luck.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

I'm not familiar with that type of condition. Does physio or certain types of exercising help?

Chronic tension = It essentially means that the last few years I've only been doing superficial stretches that work the very top layer of muscle. It's very easy to miss the calves when you're stretching. The guy that does my sports massage told me that I was also only working one-half of my hamstrings when I stretch too.

He's given me some stretches that make sure I work both sides of my hamstrings on each leg and that I stretch the top, middle and bottom parts of my calves. I'll admit though that I've been really slack and not been doing them recently. I felt the how sensitive they've become when I attended a pressure point seminar with Professor Rick Clark on Wednesday. OUCH!

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Dont really like hangetsu although i have only watched it never done it myself jitte is my kata that i am doing at the moment and i like it alot.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.