Shotokan-kez

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read thru this topic with interest as I have a similar situation with my 9 year old son, although we started our studies at the same time. I think I've come away with this discussion learning a couple things... 1. He's 9. The technique will come with time. 2. I can encourage him and practice with him at home to help him get the techniques & stances, but in the end its his decision as to how much he wants to succeed. 3. I just have to be patient & nurturing, like a dad.

Thanks to all of you for showing me I'm not the only one in this situation.

gimmik thats one thing you can count on - there is always someone on here who knows (or thinks they know) what you are going through!! Always support available when asked

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Having taught kids that age trying to go to that level imho the kid should be held back from testing and plainly told why. 8 year olds are capable of excellant stances and posture in kata. In fact in family groups at the lower kyu levels it is sometimes the younger students who have stances better than their parents.

That said many young students need a level with a wake up call as to how much improvement is needed in their power, focus, stances and techniques before they can advance. It may be a rude awakening for some even after they have been told it is coming.

Stress like this is why I really don't like testing. When the student is ready, promote them. I guess that's for another discussion.

Shotokan-kez, just be Dad. That's your role. As long as you are caring an nurturing, wether he passes or fails is irrelevant. If he fails, teach him to get up. If he passes, foster his success and present him with more challenges. Best wishes. Let us know how it goes.

ps1

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Aww what belt is she on karate k? Where in the uk are you? I did shukokai for a short while in Stockport.

She is on yellow now (8th kyu). We are in chorley, lancs. Not far from Stockport.

Karate Ni Sentinashi