• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello there everyone. I do shotokan at present and i'm not far off black belt grading. I am very tempted to start training in muay thai but it looks scary. That probably sounds very sad and lame considering my rank in karate but karate isn't full contact and i am a big wimp really lol.

I have seen some pictures on master skens website and the moves look frightening that they do, i have had injuries in karate before but i wouldn't want to be put out for good. I soooooo want to do this but somethings holding me back and i think it's the safety issue.

Can anyone reasure me, before i make the commitment? Thanks guys.

Kez :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dunno about where you'd be, but in my club unless you're doing fights you don't get anything that serious. Unless you go train with the fighters and forget to protect your face enough in which case it will probably be covered in blood by the end of the session, but the whole point of pad work is that you don't damage yourself training - the professional fighters can't afford that, with their fight every two weeks...

I say take it up cos it's AWESOME.

Hello there everyone. I do shotokan at present and i'm not far off black belt grading. I am very tempted to start training in muay thai but it looks scary. That probably sounds very sad and lame considering my rank in karate but karate isn't full contact and i am a big wimp really lol.

I have seen some pictures on master skens website and the moves look frightening that they do, i have had injuries in karate before but i wouldn't want to be put out for good. I soooooo want to do this but somethings holding me back and i think it's the safety issue.

Can anyone reasure me, before i make the commitment? Thanks guys.

Kez :karate:

Meh, Its not scary at all. It can be indimidating when you first walk in, but other than that, once you get into it, you should be fine When I made the switch, I simply just had a bloodlust and a drive to test myself agaisnt MMA. So to help yourself get into Muay Thai, try to find a reason to start it up. I'm sure you do have reasons, but when you reach an obstacle like fear, just make sure you have enough will power drive to get it done.

Also, I doubt you'll be starting off fighting some 5 year veteran in your first few classes, I think they generaly start off with alot of cardio training and simple basic techniques to improve your "fighting-fit" ability.

If your near a black belt in Karate, then your mind set should be already in top fighting or even training shape. Be confident that you have experiance, dont let it give you guilt.

Hope that helps a little.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Thanks a lot for that. I called the local muay thai club and they said i can come along and speak to the master and watch as many times i like. I must admit the website of the club i would be joining is awesome and it's very exciting. Unfortunatly though it's very expensive, so it may have to be put on hold for a while.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk