• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need help can't do a pull up?

Mtal

Assisted pull ups are good, but another thing you can do, is help yourself up into a fully "up" pull-up position and very very very slowly lower yourself. As slow as you can. You can even hold it in position for awhile. You can also do the Lat pulldown machine, and bicep exercised as well. I use to not be able to do pullups, now I can do about 4 sets of 10.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Try isometric and eccentric work on the pullup bar. For example, do some static holds where you simply start with your chin at bar level as if you had completed a chinup--hold for 5 seconds and then lower yourself slowly to arms length. Repeat this 3-5 times twice per week. Also, try to see how long you can simply hold your chin over the bar. Shoot for as long as possible and repeat 2-3 times.

These should help. Also, use heavier weight when you do biceps curls (less reps--6-8 max) and try chinups with no shoes and light shorts. If you can cut 5 lbs of bodyweight, that would help, also. Chinups are about a positive ratio of biceps/lat/rear delt strength to bodyweight, simple as that.

With respect,

Sohan

Thanks everone btw. Sohan (or anyone else), one thing, should I be working on pull ups or chin ups. I mentioned pull ups cause from what I hear they are a little eaiser to do than chin ups, but if one as more benefits than the other, should that be the one I be doing?

Try chinups first, which are easier because of the supinated hand position (palms up) that more fully utilizes the biceps muscle. When you can knock out a few of those, try them with your hands turned the other way--both work essentially the same muscles but with different emphases.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

There was a time when I could not do a pull-up. Two things I did:

1. Lose weight. It is not really that hard once you decide you really want to and get your priorities in line.

2. Keep working other excersises to develop strength. Curls for biceps (for hands facing you) and lat pulldowns for the hands facing away kind.

I can do sets of 10 of each kind, and can do a single set of a few more now. Don't give up! :)

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

• 2 months later...
training for muscular endurance may help that

So are you saying doing more reps?

Oh thanks for the help everyone. Actually, I been working the bys and hitting the lat pull down machine. I tried to do some pull ups the other day and I did 3 good ones. I am still working at it.

Jay Johnson

Try isometric and eccentric work on the pullup bar. For example, do some static holds where you simply start with your chin at bar level as if you had completed a chinup--hold for 5 seconds and then lower yourself slowly to arms length. Repeat this 3-5 times twice per week. Also, try to see how long you can simply hold your chin over the bar. Shoot for as long as possible and repeat 2-3 times.

These should help. Also, use heavier weight when you do biceps curls (less reps--6-8 max) and try chinups with no shoes and light shorts. If you can cut 5 lbs of bodyweight, that would help, also. Chinups are about a positive ratio of biceps/lat/rear delt strength to bodyweight, simple as that.

With respect,

Sohan

^Good advice. DO NOT do weighted pullups until you can comfortably do 12 or more regular pullups in a set.

Also, try using the assisted pullup machine (if your gym has one), and gradually decrease the assisted weight weekly. Once you can crank out a couple reps on your own, you should stay on it and keep progressing each time.

Pullups require bicep strength, lat strength, and trap strength. It also requires balance and overall muscle control (so you don't swing too much). Work on these muscles more, but make sure you do the pullups as the first exercise...doing them after the "isolation" exercises will only hinder your progress.

Watch your form on the lat pulldowns...don't use your back to pull the weight down. Because if you are doing that much weight on a lat pull and cant do one pullup, I'm thinking your form is incorrect or you are using too much upper body momentum to yank that weight down.

Mixed Martial Artist