• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite Pre-Tournament Meal

What do you like to eat for dinner the night before a tournament? How about breakfast before a tournament?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dinner the night before - steak and trimmings.

Breakfast day of, very light. I'll take a couple jars of baby food as snacks.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I don't think I would be able to eat anything before that; I'd be too nervous and would risk throwing up. I would try, however, to eat some grains like in a cereal or a granola bar. That baby food sounds very interesting, though, Aodhan!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

If you are big into sparring, a lot of folks I talked to eat a big pasta meal the night before, then eat just a power bar or similar before/during the tourny.

I'm a forms/breaking geek, so I eat whatever is on hand (I don't need that much energy). But I do eat a power bar that morning, and I drink Gatoraid for some energy. But then again, I'm vegetarian, so there's not much I can eat that they serve at tournies, unless I bring my own stuff.

I usually eat power bars/cereal bars, drink garoraid, or have something on hand with salt (chips) if it's hot (for the salt content, which I grave on really hot days).

Laurie F

I don't think I would be able to eat anything before that; I'd be too nervous and would risk throwing up. I would try, however, to eat some grains like in a cereal or a granola bar. That baby food sounds very interesting, though, Aodhan!

I can't each much the day of a tournament. I've never been able to eat before events, but baby food is basically almost predigested for an adult, so I get some of the beef ones, and I love the fruits. I used to love them before swim meets and triathlons.

I don't care much for the strained peas and carrots, and those.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Don't forget to stay hydrated. Consume sufficient water and sports drink for the 24 hours before competition, and monitor your urine color to avoid dehydration.

Though everyone's stress tolerance and stomach hardiness is different, I typically enjoy a light pasta and chicken meal with vegetables and juice the night before, and then 3-4 pancakes with light syrup (no butter) and some protein drink the morning of most competitions (weight lifting, running, etc). You probably shouldn't eat much within 3 hours of your event, but you can train yourself to tolerate small amounts of food before and during competition---every marathon I have run I have eaten solid food during the race and tolerated it well.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

red bull and kfc breakfast or dinner

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

• 5 weeks later...

•Eat pasta the night before (slow releasing carb)...

•Eat breakfast, it is very important... this helps with your mind set and control... without breakfast you have no fuel to carry you through the tournament

•Pre-fight 30min-1hr before you are fight, eat apples, and banana's and drink a good amount of water

It is much easier to harm than it is to heal

My meals the night before depend on if I'm close to the top side of my weight class or not.As for breakfast I skiptill after I weigh in.Then I hit what ever it close to the venue.I have a fast metabolisum so I can eat about 40 minutes bfore competing and not suffer from it.I take lots of bananas and water with me.But I do a routine of protein shakes for serveral weeks before because of my training habits.