• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Skipping

When I do skipping I get real bad pains in my lower shins and feet, I can barley go 3 mins. Any way to help this?

- Hogosha

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you skip barefoot? Always skip in shoes unless you are on a very cushioned matt. Don't skip on concrete--the impact forces are very high. Also, you have to build up slowly. Rest until the current pain is gone, then rest at least 2 more days to be sure (it's possible to have developed a stress fracture). Then start back a minute at a time, in shoes, on at least a carpeted surface, and don't skip on consecutive days. Lastly, Make sure you aren't jumping too high--lots of impact force if your feet come up too much.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Thanks for the info, I did Thai Boxing and was taught how to skip properly, it's just I started up again doing it in my garden (on concrete in shoes), that's probably my problem. Another is I have no where else to do it.

- Hogosha

Thanks for the info, I did Thai Boxing and was taught how to skip properly, it's just I started up again doing it in my garden (on concrete in shoes), that's probably my problem. Another is I have no where else to do it.

You can get away with doing it on concrete if you place an exercise mat down--a firmer one is better than one that is soft.

Rest and recover. Take a few days off, start over slowly, and see what happens. Definitely don't try to "tough it out".

Good luck!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

shin splints??

Possibly, but it sounds like the pain is too low in the leg. Shin splints is a general term for any number of things that cause pain along the shin in the front of the leg, from just above the ankle to just below the knee.

One of the most common is overuse/overtraining on hard surfaces or improper shoes, and causing inflammation in the connective tissues along the surface of the shin.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Thanks for the info, I've been doing them in reebok classic trainers, maybe thats the problem?

http://www.shoemall.com/assets/product_images/107466L.jpg

They are nearly the same as those just blue.

Blue? Oh, well, then that's your mistake. Should have gotten the white ones. :)

Seriously, though, are they somewhat flexible? They do appear fine to me. Probably more the hard floor and need for slow buildup that is more the issue.

With respect,

Sohan

I had the same pains after running. As Sohan said take some time off and try and get back into it slowly. If you intend to do alot of skipping you might want to try some really soft trainers, preferably with air pockets?

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.