• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Multi-Gym or Free Weights?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have worked out a little (i.e started in the past two months). IMHO you gain more precision with free weights, however the multi-gym is easier to set up and use.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

Free weights. Not only do you exercise the target muscle, but you use a whole lot of supporting/minor muscles to stabilize the weight, etc.

Also, a multigym locks you into a specific path for the movement, whereas you can adapt freeweights/dumbbells to any movement you want.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Free weights are more versatile, allow for greater range of movement, are cheaper, and provide muscle strength gains that translate more easily into athletic power.

On the other hand, they take longer to change weight between exercises, have a higher injury risk, sometimes require a spotter, and the exercises are more likely performed incorrectly by a beginner.

But I still would go with free weights.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Since I put away the free weights and got my Multi-Gym I've gained alot more.

Stronger in a small muscle group, but all the supporting muscle groups that help stablize and support the major ones are left by the way side. I bet they're sad and lonely.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I can say is that as far as a multi gym goes, the total gym is my fav mecause you still have the adaptability of being able to work the major muscle group your after while still needing the minor muscle groups to help becuase you have to control your range of motion.

Jake

Free weights will be generally better, but there are exercises you would be unwise to do by yourself at home (bench press). Some free weight equip can mitigate this risk.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I'd have to say free weights, even the spotter issue can be dealt with for most exercises by simply using dumbells rather than barbells ( ie bench presses etc) this eliminates the possibility of accidentally crushing oneself under an excess of weight while also recruiting yet more stabilizing muscles.

"I once thought that life was a mixed bag, now I know it's just a bag of all"