• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flexibility is Key

Contrary to the popular belief that strength and technique alone will suffice in martial arts, i believe that flexiblity is vital to ones success. I have trained with many people three or four times more powerful than me, but with out flexibility their technique was sloppy and weak. With flexibility also comes coordination and will greatly improve ones self in the martial arts. but don't get me wrong, strength is also a vital part of everything, but everything must be kept in balance.

Shindo Jinen Ryu Ryobu Kai-Second Degree Brown Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not sure where your "popular belief" comes from, but every pro athlete in every sport stretches. Heck, there are even bodybuilders who can do the splits. The benefits of stretching are not new and have been well documented.

However, coordination does not come with flexibility. I know many people who can dance circles around anyone. but these same people are the least flexibile people that I know. the two are not mutually exclusive.

On the same hand, I know strong guys who don't stretch much - and they are a far cry from weak. If you tell them to strike beyond their reach, obviously it will be weak - that's the case for a flexible person also - but as long as it's within their range, they still have strength behing it.

Flexibility the key? No.

IMHO balance is probably the most necessary component, followed by speed and strength. Without balance, technique is worthless. Even the strongest puncher in the world loses much of his power when off balance.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Hmm this debat could go on forever but I think what everyone is trying to say is that not one thing is best, if you have great strength, balance, flexibility and technique then you have it sorted, if you lack in one area try a bit harder in that area. Me im not as flexible as I want to be so im working on that.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.