• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bench Press Max

I haven't max lifted in a super long time. Last time was three reps at 170 when i weighed 150 as a freshman in high school. I never found bench that applicable in a practical stand point, so i never pushed it and instead worked on bi's, tri's, back, shoulders, abs. Which helped my power tremendously.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, form was probably part of the issue. But I disagree with you saying the bench is the greatest exercise out there. Bench (flat) is actually not a true gauge of strength; deadlifts are.

Bench press is a gauge of upper body strength, specifically the pectoral, deltoid, and triceps muscles. Deadlifts are a test of the spinal and knee extensors. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Flat bench is actually not practical for functional strength. Incline is more practical due to the direction of the pressing movement.

Sure, if all your punches are high punches. But incline and flat bench use the same muscles anyway, just from different angles. You should be training from different angles regardless. Lifting the exact same way builds muscle imbalances.

Repetetive use injuries can be had by doing pushups alone, true, but benching with extreme weight hastens rotator cuff injuries and ligament issues...ask any doctor who does sports medicine for a career... they'll tell you that is true. Heavy resistance benching exercise is the culprit in most shoulder injuries. Whether that be from form or not, can be debatable. I know a guy who benched 450 at his prime, and competed in some tournaments, and now he's lucky if he can push 305 without any pain. His form was ideal, if you ask me. I have yet to talk to a guy who is debilitated due to pushups.

Of course bench press has a higher injury risk. The INTENSITY IS HIGHER--which is why it is more effective than pushups at creating strength. It's like as if you could only do 8 pushups. The intensity for you would be the same as someone doing 8 reps of heavy bench to failure. Most people can do more pushup reps, though, which makes it a lower intensity exercise than bench, which means your injury risk is lower. The solution? Warmup. Listen. Rest. Train smart.

I've been doing competitive level bench press for over 25 years, and have had no major lasting injuries. Why? Because I warmup properly, listen to my body, and give it proper rest, not to mention I train for muscle balance by exercising opposing muscle groups.

Most of the benchers I've seen that have been injured train with their hearts, not their heads. In the quest for 10 more pounds of bragging rights, they forget about preventing injury.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Whats your 1 rep max in Bench Pesssing? Mines only a meare 80lbs. :( :( [/b]

I dont do weights like bar bell jockeys.

I dont need slow lifting power I need explosive functional strength.

Its far better for a fighter to do 100 pushups than bench press 200 lbs slowly.

Most people who lift heavy weights cannot do 100 pushups because it takes endurance.

I have challenged many people who can bench press 250-300 lbs to do 100 pushups (proper ones) and they cant do it.

Bar bell jockeys? Guess that includes Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, Bruce Lee, Lennox Lewis, Matt Hughes, and Georges St Pierre. I hear they've dabbled in the iron game a bit themselves.

FYI, strength training with heavy load free weights is recognized as one of the best ways (along with plometrics) to train fast twitch muscle fibers, which are of upmost importance to martial artists interested in speed of movement. I would rather bench 300 than waste my time doing lots of pushups. I know, because I've done both.

Perhaps we should call the National Football League and warn them that their athletes are getting slower because they are wasting their time doing 500 lb bench presses and 700 lb squats. Certainly they should be doing pushups and burpees instead... :roll:

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

I feel that strength training is very beneficial to all people, not just martial artists. I wish I was as big as some of the lifters that go to the gym I work out at. Hopefully, I will get that way some day.

Also, in order to be able to perform plyometric exercises, one must possess a certain level of strength, which can be achieved through weight lifting exercises that focus on strength building.

If I remember right, and Sohan can tell me if I am correct on the number or not, you should be able to squat 1.5 times your bodyweight without much trouble before recommending plyometric exercises involving the lower body. I assume the same is true at some level concerning upper body plyos as well, like explosive push-ups and what not. I can bench press over my body weight, but I can't do explosive push-ups very well, so some strength training would help me there, I think.

If I remember right, and Sohan can tell me if I am correct on the number or not, you should be able to squat 1.5 times your bodyweight without much trouble before recommending plyometric exercises involving the lower body. I assume the same is true at some level concerning upper body plyos as well, like explosive push-ups and what not. I can bench press over my body weight, but I can't do explosive push-ups very well, so some strength training would help me there, I think.

You're right on about the squat, but the 1.5 x bdywt is for a 1RM, not multiple reps, so it's really not as challenging as it sounds. And this really depends on the individual. There are some who are quite strong that would still find plyometrics contraindicated based on bodyweight and injury history.

However, I personally don't agree with the NSCA on bench press recommendations for upper body plyo: 1 x bdywt for over 220lbs, 1.5 x bdwt for under 220. I would prefer to make another division with 1.25 x bdywt for 170-219lbs.

With respect,

Sohan

I don't understand the upperbody stats. Could you elaborate more, so that I could see how much more I need to bench? I weigh 245, and my last set of bench is at 265, I think. I haven't maxed out yet, so I imagine it is better than 265.

My max bench was 305 and I weighed 165 pounds. That was 20 years ago.

I don't routinely lift weights anymore, but at 175 pounds I can do 200 pounds for a few reps. I have not and will not be "maxing" anytime soon because I don't need an injury for my ego at age 40. I had enough of those early on. :D 8)

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I don't understand the upperbody stats. Could you elaborate more, so that I could see how much more I need to bench? I weigh 245, and my last set of bench is at 265, I think. I haven't maxed out yet, so I imagine it is better than 265.

According to NSCA, at your current weight you would need to bench 245 (your weight) to be considered indicated for plyo work. The issue I have is that if you weigh 200, you are supposed to do a 300 bench (1.5 x bdywt), but at 220, you are only supposed to do 220 (1.0 x bdywt). Doesn't seem a valid test of whether plyo is appropriate, to me.

With respect,

Sohan

Whats your 1 rep max in Bench Pesssing? Mines only a meare 80lbs. :( :( [/b]

I dont do weights like bar bell jockeys.

I dont need slow lifting power I need explosive functional strength.

Its far better for a fighter to do 100 pushups than bench press 200 lbs slowly.

Most people who lift heavy weights cannot do 100 pushups because it takes endurance.

I have challenged many people who can bench press 250-300 lbs to do 100 pushups (proper ones) and they cant do it.

Bar bell jockeys? Guess that includes Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, Bruce Lee, Lennox Lewis, Matt Hughes, and Georges St Pierre. I hear they've dabbled in the iron game a bit themselves.

FYI, strength training with heavy load free weights is recognized as one of the best ways (along with plometrics) to train fast twitch muscle fibers, which are of upmost importance to martial artists interested in speed of movement. I would rather bench 300 than waste my time doing lots of pushups. I know, because I've done both.

Perhaps we should call the National Football League and warn them that their athletes are getting slower because they are wasting their time doing 500 lb bench presses and 700 lb squats. Certainly they should be doing pushups and burpees instead... :roll:

With respect,

Sohan

Perhaps I didnt explain what I meant properly. We use the term bar bell jockeys for body builders who are only interested in developing mass and not functional power. Big loads and very low reps.

I have used weights for years. Properly designed for fighters.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing