• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bench Press Max

Fighters shouldn't be concerened with a one rep max anything.

Actually, in martial arts that focus on "one punch finishes" to fights, a one rep max would indeed be of great interest.

However, I personally find a five rep max a better determinant of applicable strength for most martial arts combat.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, i was wondering when benching, do you go all the way down and touch your nipples?

and also, what is the difference of doing the regular bench press and of doing the clip on bench where there is something holding the bar? and is the bar the same weight on those things? thanks

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

hey, i was wondering when benching, do you go all the way down and touch your nipples?

and also, what is the difference of doing the regular bench press and of doing the clip on bench where there is something holding the bar? and is the bar the same weight on those things? thanks

First question: Well, you definitely want to TOUCH your chest, regardless. But where you touch the bar on the chest depends on your optimal leverage, which differs depending on your chest and tri strength, and your back arch. Strong tris and a big arch allow you to touch the bar almost to the belly. This is how many competitive benchers lift today, as the gear they wear helps maximize this lifting position. A strong pec bencher may still have a good degree of arch, but find pressing the bar from the nipple area to be a better use of their pecs.

Second question: You're talking about using a Smith Press, I assume. A Smith Press changes the natural S shape of the bench press and turns it into a linear movement. The Smith machine is self spotting and offers greater control and also movement patterns that you cannot perform with a barbell, such as bench presses from the clavicle. I personally never found them of much use in my program, but others do. And yes, the bar is typically the same 45 lb bar.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Last time I maxed was about 6 years ago. I weighted either 165lbs or 170lbs (cant remember) but I do remember my max, it was 315lbs. one time only. Right now, at this time, 315lbs would cave my chest in and push my heart and lungs through my back. I guess that was one advantage I used because of my short arms, I knew they would come in handy sooner or later..... :D

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

why not? Increasing your max strength, also known as limit strength is excellent for fighters. you are increasing your power output, which has its obvious advantages. I'm sure it's not uncommon for fighters training for a fight to spend at least 4 weeks of their cycle to increasing limit strength. I've seen it talked about in boxing circles.

why not? Increasing your max strength, also known as limit strength is excellent for fighters. you are increasing your power output, which has its obvious advantages. I'm sure it's not uncommon for fighters training for a fight to spend at least 4 weeks of their cycle to increasing limit strength. I've seen it talked about in boxing circles.

Also, most workouts are based off of reps performed at a percentage of 1 rep max. Therefore, testing a 1 rep max every 3 months or so will let you know if you should increase the weight in your rep training.

I maxed out at 275 one rep, and I weighed 190 at the time (when I was about 34 years old). I no longer bench; my shoulders are messed up because of it. Don't place too much of an emphasis on benching. If you overdo it, you will end up with chronic shoulder problems later in life. I am 38 years old now, and I benched a 1 rep max the other day for the hell of it, and got 240. Not bad for a guy who does nothing but pushups, dips, and dumbbell presses. I don't bother with flat barbell bench press anymore.

Mixed Martial Artist

Whats your 1 rep max in Bench Pesssing? Mines only a meare 80lbs. :( :( [/b]

I dont do weights like bar bell jockeys.

I dont need slow lifting power I need explosive functional strength.

Its far better for a fighter to do 100 pushups than bench press 200 lbs slowly.

Most people who lift heavy weights cannot do 100 pushups because it takes endurance.

I have challenged many people who can bench press 250-300 lbs to do 100 pushups (proper ones) and they cant do it.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I maxed out at 275 one rep, and I weighed 190 at the time (when I was about 34 years old). I no longer bench; my shoulders are messed up because of it. Don't place too much of an emphasis on benching. If you overdo it, you will end up with chronic shoulder problems later in life. I am 38 years old now, and I benched a 1 rep max the other day for the hell of it, and got 240. Not bad for a guy who does nothing but pushups, dips, and dumbbell presses. I don't bother with flat barbell bench press anymore.

I'm just guessing as I wasn't there, but it was probably your form. I actually injured my shoulder a few years ago - it's healed now - from pushups... repettitive stress injury. ANYTHING can be harmful. But, considering that you can do so many more reps with pushups, you'd be more likely to get a repettitive stress injury like I received.

The bench press is one of the greatest exercises out there.

I agree, form was probably part of the issue. But I disagree with you saying the bench is the greatest exercise out there. Bench (flat) is actually not a true gauge of strength; deadlifts are. Flat bench is actually not practical for functional strength. Incline is more practical due to the direction of the pressing movement.

Repetetive use injuries can be had by doing pushups alone, true, but benching with extreme weight hastens rotator cuff injuries and ligament issues...ask any doctor who does sports medicine for a career... they'll tell you that is true. Heavy resistance benching exercise is the culprit in most shoulder injuries. Whether that be from form or not, can be debatable. I know a guy who benched 450 at his prime, and competed in some tournaments, and now he's lucky if he can push 305 without any pain. His form was ideal, if you ask me. I have yet to talk to a guy who is debilitated due to pushups.

Here's a good article for you benchers:

http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=26

Just do it, but do it safe and correct.

Mixed Martial Artist