• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bench Press Max

Really, though, bench press max isn't so important as you might think. A lot of guys who can bench a bunch have little power in their punches. I now bench almost 20% less than I did 20 years ago, but I punch a lot harder.

Respectfully,

Sohan

Yep. And that is all technique, my friend, all technique. :D

Aodhan

Doesn't the bulk of punching power come from the triceps (along with technique)?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever been hit by an untrained guy with freakish strength? It's still like being hit with a ton of bricks.

No doubt. It would probably hurt as much as blindly running into a brick wall.

In an ideal world, you would have equal amounts of strength and skill. The average guy has neither. Some have more of one than the other. You work with what you've got and if you're ambitious, you try and acquire what you don't.

Really, though, bench press max isn't so important as you might think. A lot of guys who can bench a bunch have little power in their punches. I now bench almost 20% less than I did 20 years ago, but I punch a lot harder.

Respectfully,

Sohan

Yep. And that is all technique, my friend, all technique. :D

Aodhan

Doesn't the bulk of punching power come from the triceps (along with technique)?

True punching power comes from hip rotation. You have much better leverage to create torque with your hips--the kinetic chain transfers energy from your hips to the shoulders, elbow, and fist. Just like hitting a baseball with a bat or taking a golf swing. Although strong pecs, delts, and tris make for a stronger puncher, truly the most powerful punchers get hip rotation on their punches. My sensei calls it the "around the back" punch.

When you practice punching in a mirror, check to see if the knot on your belt moves side to side. If it doesn't, then you're not using your hips and you're not getting maximal power. I see this all the time--it's simple biomechanics.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's somewhere over 100, which is bad I know, but I like to think I make up for it in some fighting skill. I've been working out lately so as to improve my athletism (made a thread for help on that) but since all my friends are big and tough, it's kind of intimidating being as small as I am, but since I'm a good fighter they don't look down on me or anything for it.

Not completely. As Sohan said, it starts with the hips.

So, hips rotate (Obliques, abs, some hamstring from the leg push). As it moves up the body, the pectorals get involved (They are responsible for adducting the upper arm, or moving it forward/towards the body), and when you start straightening and extending the lower arm, that is where the triceps kick in.

There are also a whole host of ancillary/secondary muscles that are responsible for stabiliziation, hand rotation, etc etc.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting to say that my guess of a 300 lbs 1rm on the first page was accurate. I benched 300 last week at 222 lbs bodyweight. (before I started lifting seriously and changing my diet, I weighed 153 lbs).

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• 1 month later...

my one rep best was 305 BUT I weighed 255 at the time. That was a long time ago. Today, I have not benched in maybe 15 years, if I can get 100 pounds off my chest I would be happy

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt