• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If You Created Your Own Martial Art Style....

TEKKEN DO :lol:

I guess namco might have some questions about that.

Most people’s compassion and kindness are bounded by threats of their interest.

People respond to irritancies will dire actions and speech, which is magnified by grudge, competitiveness and fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would mix styles, but I wouldn't call it something it's not. I would give credit where credit is dew. Like if I openned a TKD school and added jujitsu, I'd say this came from Jujitsu. I wouldn't give it (both styles combined) a new name and say this is it. It's not. I'm sure all styles were new at one time, but it's just not me to do that.

This is a good point. What ever happened to the schools that just had KARTATE painted on the window?

Honestly Bushido, Karate is what is painted on our dojo windows and that is it, except for a phone # :D

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Honestly Bushido, Karate is what is painted on our dojo windows and that is it, except for a phone # :D

I get a kick out of schools that advertise they teach "Muay Thai", and you get in and it's simply basic kickboxing without even teaching much elbows and knees---the best part is when it's taught by converted aerobics instructors who got their "certification" in MT but have never trained with anyone who has fought nor trained in authentic MT.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I get a kick out of schools that advertise they teach "Muay Thai", and you get in and it's simply basic kickboxing without even teaching much elbows and knees---the best part is when it's taught by converted aerobics instructors who got their "certification" in MT but have never trained with anyone who has fought nor trained in authentic MT.

With respect,

Sohan

Yeah, and they are worse than McDojos.

I have actually done this. I broke away and started an afterschool program for kids. This is just the beginning. We are called Martial Arts 4 me. We pull skills from a variety of stlyes with a concentration in TaeKwonDo. I don't imagine it is a typical name for a style, but it suits what I do perfectly. We individualize a students teachings based on their needs. We offer classes for cheerleaders that incorporate Martial Arts traing that will also benifit them in their cheering. We do the same for football players and all other athletes. We also have some classes with emphasis on the mental aspects for the kids that are interested in this. I literally am teaching all kinds of different things and constantly adding different classes. My goal is for someday to offer classes to suit the specific needs of any individual.

Heather

You are only as good as you believe you can be!

I have actually done this. I broke away and started an afterschool program for kids. This is just the beginning. We are called Martial Arts 4 me.

I think this is the best approach. It's simple and honest. Using Japanese, Chinese, Korean,Thai or any other language that is not your own (you gotta be fluent in it) can lead to embarassng mistranslations. You don't want to find out too late, ie. after the business cards have been passed out and the paint on the signs well dried that the title you thought you gave yourself, Kancho (director), was instead mistranslated as enema, spy or captain (all of which sound nearly identical in Japanese).