• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Creatine? Going against martial arts philosphy?

Zatoichi

Do you take creatine?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take creatine?

• Yes
    • No

Hello. I've recently gone back to kyokushin karate and love it! I did shotokan in middle school and worked out a little with bench press and arm curls in high school.

Now that i'm an "adult" with more money to put into my hobby i've joined a gym to focus on other parts of my body to enhance my kumite in kyokushin. After a couple of months of working out i've talked to friends that work out as well and they've suggested taking creatine ethyl ester (in pill form) and nitric oxide (pill form) to enhance my session and results.

I've been taking these supplements this past week, and my girlfriend doesn't really approve. She feels that i'm "cheating" and that any result is unnatural to my progression. Another great point that she made that got me to think was a mention about old martial artists (ie Sosai Mas Oyama). I don't think that creatine was popularly available when they trained nor did nitric oxide. So any gains that they made resulted from hard work and pain.

So my questions,

- Do you take creatine as a supplement with your weight training for martial arts?

- Do you feel that it's gains are "un-natural" and go against the martial arts philosphy of training in a natural fashion and to keep your body pure?

- Are there any negatives for taking creatine?

- Is there a difference between creatine in powder or pill form?

Osu and Thank you

Marc

For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?

Mark 8:36

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been taking these supplements this past week, and my girlfriend doesn't really approve. She feels that i'm "cheating" and that any result is unnatural to my progression. Another great point that she made that got me to think was a mention about old martial artists (ie Sosai Mas Oyama). I don't think that creatine was popularly available when they trained nor did nitric oxide. So any gains that they made resulted from hard work and pain.

So my questions,

- Do you take creatine as a supplement with your weight training for martial arts?

- Do you feel that it's gains are "un-natural" and go against the martial arts philosphy of training in a natural fashion and to keep your body pure?

- Are there any negatives for taking creatine?

- Is there a difference between creatine in powder or pill form?

Osu and Thank you

Marc

Yes, I take creatine.

Creatine occurs naturally in food, so no, I don't think taking it is un-natural. It is not currently on the list of banned substances by the IOC, either. Creatine doesn't really give you gains in and of itself. All it does is increase the amount of fuel available in cells, allowing you to train longer at a higher level. I have a post in here on creatine and its effects if you look a bit back for it.

Creatine is broken down and excreted through the kidneys, and does require extra hydration. If you take too much creatine and not enough water, you can potentially overload your kidneys. If you use it as directed, (More is not always better), then you should be fine.

There isn't really a difference between powder or liquid, but don't mix creatine with citric juices, as that will break down the creatine before you can get anything from it. :D (At least I think it is citric, check the labels)

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

There isn't really a difference between powder or liquid, but don't mix creatine with citric juices, as that will break down the creatine before you can get anything from it. (At least I think it is citric, check the labels)

Actually i'm taking Creatine Esther Ethyl in the PILL form. Do you know if it's any different than powder form? I didn't know that creatine was in liquid form.

Do you take any other supplements beside creatine?

For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?

There's some talk that "ethyl ester" products can damage the liver, so I'd be careful. It's suppose to absorb and uptake up to 40x faster than creatine monohydrate, and from the reactions I've seen, quite a few users are happy with the results. But I'm sticking to mono until I see more research.

As far as cheating, that's just silly. Should we do nothing the old masters didn't do because of tradition? Every generation takes advantage of the technology provided to become bigger, stronger, faster. Should we not wear running shoes to hit the roads because they weren't available to Itosu in the 19th century?

Creatine is generally harmless and occurs naturally in the body as a phosphogen metabolite. Stay hydrated and give it a rest on occasion and you'll be fine. I've taken creatine for over 10 years and had no ill effects. And it certainly gets results.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

There isn't really a difference between powder or liquid, but don't mix creatine with citric juices, as that will break down the creatine before you can get anything from it. (At least I think it is citric, check the labels)

Actually i'm taking Creatine Esther Ethyl in the PILL form. Do you know if it's any different than powder form? I didn't know that creatine was in liquid form.

Do you take any other supplements beside creatine?

I'm with Sohan on this one. Jury is still out on the esther ethyl. I just use the powder. You can mix it with just about anything.

The only other supplements I take on a regular basis are a multivitamin and protein powder.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

Thanks for the wise words guys. I'll do a little research on the monohydrate and other forms of creatine out there.

Have you guys tried Nitric Oxide?

Thanks for the wise words guys. I'll do a little research on the monohydrate and other forms of creatine out there.

Have you guys tried Nitric Oxide?

Nope. In my opinion, it's just the latest "fad" supplement, and will disappear soon.

You have to take the "next greatest thing" that the muscle mags promote with a grain of salt. Most of these mags generate huge revenue from supplement companies by promoting certain supplements. Weider owns most of the muscle mags out there, and most of them are half as much ads as they are articles.

Good solid nutrition, a well planned workout regimen are all you really need. I like the boost that creatine gives my workouts, so I use it off and on throughout the year, depending on where I am in the tournament circuit. Mostly it's just vitamin supplements (Because my diet isn't the best) and protein powder.

Aodhan

A partial list of the "latest, hottest" supplements I've encountered in the past that aren't worth your money (some may even be harmful):

HMB

Amino Acids

Androstenedione

Yohimbe

Clenbuterol

DHEA

Androdiol

DMSO

Vanadyl Sulfate

Pyruvate

L-Carnitine

Chromium

Trioxylan

Dymetradrine

L-Glutamine

OKG

There are many others. Spend your money on the food aisles at your local Walmart or Kroger.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I took it and i advice against it...unless you are a serious BODYBUILDER!!!

I ended up looking puffy as it retains tons of water. My girlfriend hated it and when i came off it i looked much trimmer, better.

Weights, cardio, MA, general fitness and good food. Living life without obsessing...upsetting the balance in your mind.... is the order of the day.

You can increase your protien in shakes but i would strongly advice agaisnt creatine supplements.

Be like water my friend!!

• 2 weeks later...

The concept of martial arts is the art of discovering the most efficent way to kill someone...

and in this case by unarmed combat

Period.

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."