• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weapons in Karate???

Karate_Warrior

Karate Do means empty hand way. In our school, weapons are taught but not required for rank. It is mainly a way to keep the training interesting. When I was in Kung Fu however, we were required to know several weapons kata in order to advance.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are two main lineage in okinawan weaponary first is Matayoshi and socond is Tira , there are also some minors like hohen soken kodudo fighting techniques,

http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/005/002/index.html

you may have seen some people keep the bo under armpit and some under forearm or other dofferences in katas.

• 1 month later...
there is no weapons as far as i know in shotokan karate

I practice Shotokan as well, and we do not train in weapons. I train weapons in another dojo.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

^ Cathal is right...

I go to other Dojos to train for the use of various weapons; I'm fortunate to have my Karate Sensei to teach me Kenjutsu as well as Kyudo! :lol:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

I saw many interesting replies to this question - I am a 5th degree black belt in Okinawan Kenpo Karate Kobudo which is to mean that I study two entirely different art forms - karate - which is your open hand and Kobudo which is your weapons training - in a traditional federation/dojo you attain rank in both categories - there are 5 basic weapons in traditional okinawan weaponry - bo,sai,tunfa,nunchaku,kama and additional weapons Eiku Bo, Nunte Bo, Timbe/Rochin, Tekkos

i study Kempo, and Kempo juitsu kai and we are allowed to pick our weopon by blue belt. Ive Been Learning Escrima and my best friend is learning Kama

"Disqualification before Dishonor"

i study Kempo, and Kempo juitsu kai and we are allowed to pick our weopon by blue belt. Ive Been Learning Escrima and my best friend is learning Kama

So you can only select to train with one weapon?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

So you can only select to train with one weapon?

we are allowed to study any weopon with the exception of the Katana (until we reach Black belt). My friend and I chose to do these weopons (Escrima and Kama) and want to stick with them until we feel comfortable. our sensei doesnt require us to stay with just one, he just feels if we want to learn a weopon its better to get good at it before we switch it up. ....But im very interested in weopons forms so I want to learn Quite a few. :D although Escrima will be my weopon of choice

"Disqualification before Dishonor"