• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Neck strain

SoonerJohn

confirmed it was a strain of the Sternocleidomastoid which is the muscle that attaches at the sternum and goes around to the ball just behind the ear.

Thank you, thank you

No applause or tips are necessary. :D

Aodhan

Well, you did have a 50-50 shot. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

No, there are more muscles than those two. My main objection was what the chiropractor told him. If you knock cervical bones "out of alignment", you're going to have a lot more symptoms than a sore spot at the base of your skull. (Especially if it's the atlas, or first cervical bone as he described it).

Aodhan (But yes, it was close to a 50/50 shot. Sshhh. Don't tap on the glass)

Nope. A palpable pain in the region indicated would be indicative of the two muscle groups you mentioned--the only other muscle groups that would be in the region would be the scaleni and erector spinae, but they are deep muscles not easily palpable with the fingers. So you did indeed have a 50-50 chance. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Levator scapulae and splenius will also produce pain in that region. Also, the erector spinae are palpable, unless you have large development of the trapezius and/or SCM.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Levator scapulae and splenius will also produce pain in that region. Also, the erector spinae are palpable, unless you have large development of the trapezius and/or SCM.

Aodhan

Splenius cervicis--maybe. But capitis is too deep. And levator scapulae is too deep to easily palpate, even without big traps or SCM--it's well covered by T1, T2, and T3. Even if the traps are small, LS will be small too.

Give up yet? :D

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

Aodhan

Splenius cervicis--maybe. But capitis is too deep. And levator scapulae is too deep to easily palpate, even without big traps or SCM--it's well covered by T1, T2, and T3. Even if the traps are small, LS will be small too.

Give up yet? :D

With respect,

Sohan

Nope. We just have differing opinions on the subject. I've palped them when doing cervical exams in the field (Air Force paramedic), so we just have differing opinions. :)

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

[

....We just have differing opinions on the subject...

Aodhan

Life would certainly be boring if we agreed on everything. :)

With respect,

Sohan